Camry Depreciation

barryc

Those of us who have bought new cars off the showroom floor (and for me that has been 5) are fully aware of the depreciation our cars suffer immediately we drive them away from the dealer. Up to now I have copped that sweet, but not anymore.

My latest vehicle is a Camry Azura and I bought it when it was just 10 months old and with 13k on the clock. It did not have a mark on it, still had over 5 years warranty (the previous owner bought a 6 year extended warranty which was transferred to me) and after negotiation with this private owner I paid 22% below the new delivery price. Clearly the vehicle was his pride and joy but his life situation had changed which could happen to any of us.

Sure, there is some haggling involved, and it has to be a cash transaction, and it may not be your preferred colour (although in my case it turned out to be my second preference) but at the end of the day I saved $17,000 over what I was prepared to pay if I bought it new. This is a saving not to be sneezed at!

So, for you guys out there about to buy a Sportivo, think about a year old Azura first for less money. You get the leather, the sunroof, but most important of all, the satellite navigation, which I have fallen in love with.

By the way, most of the larger Toyota distributors are given a Camry Azura each month or so to flog off as Headquarters demonstators. The savings on these can be in the order of $13,000 or so.

22% savings = 17000?

holy moly a new camry azura costs 77k?

u prolly made a mistake but how much u end up buyin for?

:D Somehow I sense that we all have made a mistake here.

An Camry Azura is in the order of $53k on road, give or take a few hundred dollars. I paid $36k for the 10 month old car which is a saving of $17k, so ..........

17000/53000 = 32%

Wow! Even better!

:P

• 1 month later...

I believe the pre-owned car market has totally changed.

Since more major car company employees are recieving a car as part of there salary pakage...the market is becomming flooded with cars mainly (fords,holdens,toyota's and Mitsubishi's).

12 - 14 months old with under 15000k's and selling between $10-14,000 off the new car price.

They are still under the original manufacturers warranty plus an additional 3years from some dealers. The prices displayed in the yards mean nothing!.....you can haggle and get between $2000 to $3500 off there advertised price depending on the milledge, log book services, condion and obviously how long it has been sitting in the yard.

I used to be a new car purchaser......but being able to pick up a V6 04 Spec 11 sportivo with only 10k on the clock for the price of a 04 2.4Ltr with an average 30k...has changed my view

It definately shows that it is a buyers market. :D

Brad

My opinion is the second hand market still only concern the model, engine and milage of the car to set its price. All accessory on the car has only little effect on it. No matter you use $100,000 to install a machine gun on it :P , it still a "CAMRY" only....