2006 Camry update

barryc

What toyota is doing with the camry/avalon engine spec is understandable as they sell something like 4:1 of 4/6cyl, but FORCING people like barryc to either accept an avalon or walk away if he wants a 6cyl is shameful.

The 6cyl camry is a sensational drive, my friend has the vienta '02 and its a syrupy drive with the (just ok but gr8 for everyday driving) grunt is superb. Toyota shouldn't force 6cyl buyers into an avalon.

I have seen the US version of our avalon update when I was there 4 weeks ago, and it's a much better looking car, I personally don't mind it, but in todays day of MINIMUM impact for a vehicle over its life, surley a 6 camry would be slightly more economical than an avalon on brakes/tyres/fuel, and over 15 years of someone driving this vehicle, that adds up to a fair bit.

If Jim and Joan don't need the space of the avalon (it's a pretty big MOFO) and jim likes the grunt, why cant he have a V6 Camry???

Let's also bear in mind that the new cammy is heavier, so it will be likley be same or slower than current model, I know toyota are tweaking the engine for the new model, but I doubt the new one will be as quick or any quicker than the current spec, which as a 4cyl I have found to be a pretty decent day-to-day drive if you don't care much for go.

I'm telling you the 4cyl doesn't feel slower than current model, and the handling has improved greatly.

Also, forget what you've seen of the American Avalon.

OK Otaku, please clarify - in your above statement, are you comparing the new 4cyl with the old 4cyl, or the 6cyl?

You state a couple of times throughout this thread that the Australian Avalon will be different to the American version, but in what way? I think that if you know something then you should tell us.

But having said all that, to me an Avalon is an Avalon and I will look good in one with my beige cardigan on, but it still will not have anything like the trade-in value that it should have and I subsequently will not accept such a loss in value for the sake of a Toyota 6cyl.

A case in point is the Mitsubishi 380. Car of the year in 2005 by some reputable car magazines, and I have driven one and it is indeed a joy to drive. But at the end of the day we punters still see it as a Magna (despite the name change) and treat it accordingly. Mitsubishi are currently making more than they can sell and are already discounting on a regular basis to get them out on the roads. The first of the secondhand units are now appearing in the yards already at 75% of their original retail value, so it doesn't look good for the 2005 COTY. I see a similar parallel for the 2006 Avalon.

Wait for the Melbourne motorshow. ;)

: Apparently the new Camry will not be shown in Melbourne but the replacement of the Avalon will be shown alongside a performance version of the same vehicle.

This is from Toyota Australia's Pressroom

"

27 January 2006

TOYOTA TO PREVIEW NEW AUSTRALIAN FAMILY SEDAN IN MELBOURNE

Toyota will preview a new Australian-built six-cylinder sedan at this year’s Melbourne Motor Show.

The new car has been styled for local tastes and is due for release in the second half of 2006.

It will replace the discontinued Avalon sedan as Toyota’s offering in the large car segment.

Toyota Executive Director, Sales and Marketing, David Buttner, said the new car would redefine the large car market in Australia. “This is a hugely important vehicle for Toyota. Locally built vehicles underpin our business in Australia and this vehicle will present growth opportunities both domestically and in export markets,” he said.

“We’ve decided to reveal the exterior of the car some months out from launch in order to let large car buyers know there is an alternative to the traditional large six on the horizon,” he said.

Toyota will also give showgoers a sneak preview of a new performance sedan based on the same platform as the large car.

Motorsport will again feature prominently on Toyota’s stand, with the new performance sedan flanked by Toyota’s Formula One car and the innovative Motor Triathlon Race Car (MTRC) concept vehicle.

The MTRC is a hydrogen-powered concept featuring a pollution-free fuel cell stack that emits only water and provides electricity for four electric motors, each driving one of the car’s wheels.

The vehicle uses an adaptive suspension system that monitors road conditions and adjusts settings according to road surfaces, allowing MTRC to compete on smooth racetracks, narrow street circuits or off-road courses.

“Intelligent” tyres use built-in sensors to adapt to the road conditions and maximise grip on any surface, while a jet fighter-style heads-up display also helps the driver anticipate road surface changes.

Three new models will make their Australian public debuts at the motor show. The all-new RAV4 will be joined by the next generation Tarago and the Yaris sedan.

Both Tarago and RAV4 pioneered new segments in the Australian market; RAV4 with the crossover vehicle concept and Tarago with the people mover.

Both new models are expected to reinvigorate their segments when they are launched in the first quarter of this year.

Meanwhile, the Yaris sedan is expected to continue the momentum of the top selling hatch, which was the top-selling light vehicle in December.

Other cars on display at the show include the Prius and Corolla, which each set new sales benchmarks in 2005.

"

OK Otaku, please clarify - in your above statement, are you comparing the new 4cyl with the old 4cyl, or the 6cyl?

You state a couple of times throughout this thread that the Australian Avalon will be different to the American version, but in what way? I think that if you know something then you should tell us.

But having said all that, to me an Avalon is an Avalon and I will look good in one with my beige cardigan on, but it still will not have anything like the trade-in value that it should have and I subsequently will not accept such a loss in value for the sake of a Toyota 6cyl.

A case in point is the Mitsubishi 380. Car of the year in 2005 by some reputable car magazines, and I have driven one and it is indeed a joy to drive. But at the end of the day we punters still see it as a Magna (despite the name change) and treat it accordingly. Mitsubishi are currently making more than they can sell and are already discounting on a regular basis to get them out on the roads. The first of the secondhand units are now appearing in the yards already at 75% of their original retail value, so it doesn't look good for the 2005 COTY. I see a similar parallel for the 2006 Avalon.

-Above, I was comparing the new 4-cylinder to the current 4-cylinder.

-The problem with the 380 is that it looks like a Magna. ;)

-I'm not willing to give further detail on the Avalon replacement other than to say that it's not an Avalon.

Apparently the new Camry will not be shown in Melbourne but the replacement of the Avalon will be shown alongside a performance version of the same vehicle.

-You may be right, I've heard different though.

I apologise guys, I'm not trying to stir things up, I just don't want you to be dismissive of the new vehicles before you know all the details.