2006 Camry update

barryc

There has been some speculation in this forum just when the 2006 Camry is coming out and what it will look like. Well, out local Toyota showroom reliably informs me that it will be on the floor in May and will be a slight bastardisation of the American model which may be slightly different to the Asian model that is popping up in this forum from time to time.

It has also been confirmed that it will only be produced with the 2.4L 4 cylinder motor, will be slightly longer and a tad heavier. So, unless they are planning to tweak up the power a little, then it will be struggling to pull the skin off a rice pudding.

Now, before each and everyone of you direct outrage at me because I have a criticism of your beloved Camry, let me point out to you that I originally owned a 1999 Camry Vienta (6 cyl) and am the proud possessor of a 2003 Camry Azura (6 cyl) so I am a dyed in the wool Toyota man. However, I do believe that the various descriptions relating to the product being Japanese whitegoods, and that owners of such vehicles are normally respendant in cardigans has some justification. With the current shape I actually believed that they were about to turn the corner as the front-on and side views of this model are excellent, but the rear profile needed a good face lift. BUT, with the throwing out of the 6 cyl motor and a compulsary 4 only prompts me the to ask my wife if we want cyclic defrost or frost free in the next purchase and also note that Myers are selling new season cardigans with raglan sleeves.

Toyota, seriously, you make a good product, but if you are forcing me to expect that piddling 4 cylinder drive train to lug and even heavier Azura around, then I'm afraid that you may have lost me. I understand that you believe that the current fuel situation suggests that people will readily accept this car with an undersize donk, bur surely that should be the punter's choice whether they have a 4 or a 6, not a 4 thrust upon them because you think that you can read minds.

Suddenly, if I have to have a 4 then I see the 2006 Honda Euro Luxury with Sat Nav (which went on the showroom floor this month) in a new light! It too has a 2.4L 4 cyl motor, is lighter and has better resale value.

Just a little disappointed.

There are some tweaks to the motor as seen in Wheels this month. But I am hoping that the turbo comes out and says G'day. B)

There is also a Hybrid version that will have the 2.4 + the electric motor, giving the power of the 6 with the economy of the 4cyl. :)

Although reading the forum the economy of the 4 vs 6 seems to vary so much its not funny.

8L/100k for some 6's and 15/100k for some 4's :blink:

We are only getting the 4 cylinder camry because Toyota wants the Avalon replacement to be the only V6 in their lineup so it'd be a clearer competitor to the falcodores.

From our friends at autoblog, are some few photos of the next camry (including one with a sports kit...mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....)

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

10.JPG

Edited by Cosmo

Suddenly, if I have to have a 4 then I see the 2006 Honda Euro Luxury with Sat Nav (which went on the showroom floor this month) in a new light! It too has a 2.4L 4 cyl motor, is lighter and has better resale value.

Don't forget, the main reason the Euro is lighter is because its a somewhat smaller car than the Camry. Also, the new Avalon replacement will be V6, so Toyota are hoping people will look in that direction.

It always seemed odd having the V6 Camry and the Avalon sit side-by-side like they did, competing with each other, at least they won't have that issue anymore.

The biggest error Toyota made was in ditching the Camry wagon ... while the Corolla wagon is excellent (I own one myself), dealers are hurting in that they don't have a larger wagon (esp. a V6 wagon) to sell.

Edited by Buddha

Don't forget, the main reason the Euro is lighter is because its a somewhat smaller car than the Camry. Also, the new Avalon replacement will be V6, so Toyota are hoping people will look in that direction.

It always seemed odd having the V6 Camry and the Avalon sit side-by-side like they did, competing with each other, at least they won't have that issue anymore.

The biggest error Toyota made was in ditching the Camry wagon ... while the Corolla wagon is excellent (I own one myself), dealers are hurting in that they don't have a larger wagon (esp. a V6 wagon) to sell.

First off Buddha, let me concur with you that Toyota did themselves and the punters a diservice by dropping the station wagon.

You state that it seems odd that the Camry and the Avalon sit side by side as they do, and again I agree. The Avalon has not sold and will not sell whilst it sits in no-mans land as it does not directly competing with anything or anyone. Sure I understand that it is now supposed to be the 6 cyl Toyota that is to compete against the falcadores, but it is not going to do it any better than the 6 cyl Camry is doing at the moment and I suggest that it never will. It was a mistake, and a very expensive one at that. There is a pride issue here for Toyota and they will be insisting in the Board Room that they have to get it right. In the meantime they now have an extra vehicle in their line-up that they have to ensure comes within their rigid quality control standards and will simply drag profits down.

The current Camry is a big beast, my Azura weighs in over 1.5 tonnes and I need all the 6 cyl has to offer. I have driven a 4 cyl Sportivo and the performance is like chalk and cheese. So, as you infer, if I want to continue with the 6 cyl motor, then I have to go to the Avalon and then suffer the atrocious trade-in values these vehicles have after 3 years. A friend of mine is a car salesman at a local Toyota agency and he says that all reps hate it when someone comes in to trade in a secondhand Avalon, firstly because of the abuse they get to the paltry offer they put forward, and then because they then have to side shift it to a wholesaler because they simply won't sell readily and subsequently stuff up their floor plan.

Now, if I have to go to a 2.4L 4 cyl then I will be certainly investingating the Honda Euro Luxury with Sat Nav added. It is almost $4,000 cheaper, 150mm shorter, only 35mm narrow, 54mm lower, and 65kg lighter. And despite all that, has 37mm more headroom in the front. All the other features are the same as those in the Camry Azura.

I should not be seen as someone bagging Camrys. I think that they are wonderful cars and I had planned every 3 years to keep upgrading as I went along, but I now sense that it may be time for me to go in another direction. Note that I have never mentioned a Falcon or a Commodore as a satisfactory replacement.

Yeah, they may have the supercharger from the Sportivo Concept (which was a 4 cylinder 2.4L Engine) in the next camry. Also, if Toyota gets the Avalon-replacement right this time, resale values for the new gen will be high. Current and previous avalons will still remain low.

More pics (In red!)

0.JPG

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

more

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

Oh yeah, one more of the satnav screen in the hybrid, looks awesome

23.jpg

Edited by Cosmo

Yep, the new Camry looks great ... my only issue is they've gone to one of those dicky foot-operated parking brakes, otherwise I can't fault it from this distance.

As far as the performance of the newy goes, I think Toyota is figuring that as long as the performance matches or exceeds the old 4, then the traditional Camry buyer will come back for more.

Damnit, the V6 the US are getting is the 3.5L with 200kw and 336Nm AND a newly developed 6-speed auto.

I've driven this car, and it is pretty nimble. The six speed transmission is an excellent addition.

Whoa, where did you drive it?

And yeah, I reckon it's got a bit of the Mazda 6/Accord Euro in the front. But it looks like it fits in perfectly here.

Damnit, the V6 the US are getting is the 3.5L with 200kw and 336Nm AND a newly developed 6-speed auto.

I've driven this car, and it is pretty nimble. The six speed transmission is an excellent addition.

Whoa, where did you drive it?

And yeah, I reckon it's got a bit of the Mazda 6/Accord Euro in the front. But it looks like it fits in perfectly here.

I drove it for work.

I'm glad you guys like the style. It should sell well.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks neat. Alot of IS250 in the design.

What would change for the Australian version? Trims, wheels and colours only ?

Engine and transmission, apparently. Also things like seat warmers, and pollen filter.......

What toyota is doing with the camry/avalon engine spec is understandable as they sell something like 4:1 of 4/6cyl, but FORCING people like barryc to either accept an avalon or walk away if he wants a 6cyl is shameful.

The 6cyl camry is a sensational drive, my friend has the vienta '02 and its a syrupy drive with the (just ok but gr8 for everyday driving) grunt is superb. Toyota shouldn't force 6cyl buyers into an avalon.

I have seen the US version of our avalon update when I was there 4 weeks ago, and it's a much better looking car, I personally don't mind it, but in todays day of MINIMUM impact for a vehicle over its life, surley a 6 camry would be slightly more economical than an avalon on brakes/tyres/fuel, and over 15 years of someone driving this vehicle, that adds up to a fair bit.

If Jim and Joan don't need the space of the avalon (it's a pretty big MOFO) and jim likes the grunt, why cant he have a V6 Camry???

Let's also bear in mind that the new cammy is heavier, so it will be likley be same or slower than current model, I know toyota are tweaking the engine for the new model, but I doubt the new one will be as quick or any quicker than the current spec, which as a 4cyl I have found to be a pretty decent day-to-day drive if you don't care much for go.

What toyota is doing with the camry/avalon engine spec is understandable as they sell something like 4:1 of 4/6cyl, but FORCING people like barryc to either accept an avalon or walk away if he wants a 6cyl is shameful.

The 6cyl camry is a sensational drive, my friend has the vienta '02 and its a syrupy drive with the (just ok but gr8 for everyday driving) grunt is superb. Toyota shouldn't force 6cyl buyers into an avalon.

I have seen the US version of our avalon update when I was there 4 weeks ago, and it's a much better looking car, I personally don't mind it, but in todays day of MINIMUM impact for a vehicle over its life, surley a 6 camry would be slightly more economical than an avalon on brakes/tyres/fuel, and over 15 years of someone driving this vehicle, that adds up to a fair bit.

If Jim and Joan don't need the space of the avalon (it's a pretty big MOFO) and jim likes the grunt, why cant he have a V6 Camry???

Let's also bear in mind that the new cammy is heavier, so it will be likley be same or slower than current model, I know toyota are tweaking the engine for the new model, but I doubt the new one will be as quick or any quicker than the current spec, which as a 4cyl I have found to be a pretty decent day-to-day drive if you don't care much for go.

I'm telling you the 4cyl doesn't feel slower than current model, and the handling has improved greatly.

Also, forget what you've seen of the American Avalon.

Wait for the Melbourne motorshow. ;)

Regarding your question, I'm hesitant to answer on these forums so instead I'll quote someone else:

"The American-made hybrid is the first time Toyota has manufactured one outside of Japan.

Buttner says: "There was no reason why the hybrid could not be built in Australia." However, the company will wait to see what its acceptance is like in the US first. "It is not likely to be here before 2008.""

--->http://carsguide.news.com.au/story/0,20384,17792707-21822,00.html

Edited by Otaku