Possible exhaust set up. Feedback welcome!

jwron

Looking for a custom catback at a local shop near me for my 05 stivo.
Here is what i was thinking:

-2.5" tube

-resonator (unsure on type)

-magnaflow 14801 muffler

Does anyone have experience or know how the magnaflow sounds (or do majority sound similar)? A local shop says they have a muffler that is the exact same design, though almost 200 cheaper in terms of the total cost of the job.

Does the muffler alone make that much of a difference to the exhaust note in terms of a set up like this?

Can anybody recommend how certain types of resonators will effect the sound? (long vs short etc)

any advice would be greatly appreciated guys.

Thanks!

Well the rear muffler will always make by far the biggest difference in sound once the car is being driven on the road so you would tailor your sound by choosing what rear muffler you want. If mufflers are being offered that appear to be comparable but markedly different in price you'd want to ascertain whether there are material or build quality differences between them (both internally and externally). Personally I'd likely go for the more expensive model unless the cheaper one was locally made and the expensive one was imported.

But what is the stock exhaust bore on the Sportivo? Isn't it 2.25 inches? That being the case, if you went to 2.5 catback you might gain even more top end power but will likely lose torque down lower due to a lowering of the exhaust velocity and I would have thought this would be the opposite to what people would be wanting in a car with a 2ZZ-GE in it (at least for road use). I think you would be better off sticking with the original bore.

Well the rear muffler will always make by far the biggest difference in sound once the car is being driven on the road so you would tailor your sound by choosing what rear muffler you want. If mufflers are being offered that appear to be comparable but markedly different in price you'd want to ascertain whether there are material or build quality differences between them (both internally and externally). Personally I'd likely go for the more expensive model unless the cheaper one was locally made and the expensive one was imported.

But what is the stock exhaust bore on the Sportivo? Isn't it 2.25 inches? That being the case, if you went to 2.5 catback you might gain even more top end power but will likely lose torque down lower due to a lowering of the exhaust velocity and I would have thought this would be the opposite to what people would be wanting in a car with a 2ZZ-GE in it (at least for road use). I think you would be better off sticking with the original bore.

thanks for the informative reply.

i am thinking of going into the exhaust shop and speaking about them with this muffler they have suggested.

it is 2.25 inches stock.

this leads me to my next question, which is whether anyone could vouch for resonator or no resonator and why?

really hard trying to go for a setup when you have nothing to base it on. :(

reso.

bcoz without it, it may sound like a honda

I wouldnt mind a little bit of rasp, but not full blown B16 with straight pipes rasp.

Could anybody shed light on setups they have and how they sound?

mate with varex and no reso, sounds like honda farts, no good.

get a reso.

yep, will deinitely be getting a reso, just a matter of size and shape now.

setup is looking like:

-2.25 or 2.5 inch catback

-resonator (still to be decided on type)

-magnaflow muffler