Replacing 1999 Hiace fuel pump

curtis1995

Hey there, I'm new to this forum but I have owned my van for nearly 2 years and I drive it to work every day. Last week it started losing power at high revs and under acceleration which continued to get worse to the point where it would no longer idle. I had the same problem when I first got the van so I got a mechanic to flush the tank and change the fuel pump and she was all sweet until now. From what I've read the cheap after market pumps only last about 12 months before they die so I assume that is what's happened. This time I'm going to fix it myself so I know it's done right. So far I've replaced the fuel filter up near the engine but that didn't fix the problem. I have dropped the tank out and I'm now going to replace the fuel pump.

My question is this, what is a good quality fuel pump that will not give up again further down the track (possibly Bosch or walbro?). And also just so I know if I'm on the right track, the photo that I have attached is the fuel pump right?

Thanks, any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

AAA46376-A1C8-41D3-BC2B-967DAA86B043_zps

For this application, an OEM pump would be the best solution for the problem. It would be a good idea, judging by that pump assembly, to inspect and clean the fuel tank. Also have a look at the fuel cap seal as it appears that dirt is entering into the fuel system.

Depending on the model, OEM pumps can be had for less than $150(not from a dealer).

• 6 years later...

Hi Curtis1995, im having similar issues but im struggling to find the fuel filter to start the diagnostics, and i cant find much information online , i have a 2004 2.4lt petrol EFI hiace.

could you point me in the right direction please ?

PS i hope you got your power issues sorted.

cheers

• 6 months later...

geez nothing's easy with these 98 hiace vans drop the tank to replace a fuel pump is poorly designed i always thought japan were leaders in technology and engineering 

On 4/18/2022 at 9:13 PM, Agwa said:

Hi Curtis1995, im having similar issues but im struggling to find the fuel filter to start the diagnostics, and i cant find much information online , i have a 2004 2.4lt petrol EFI hiace.

cheers

hi have you tried towards the back mine is 98 it's under the carb attached with push clip 

• 4 months later...
On 4/18/2022 at 9:13 PM, Agwa said:

cheers

Did u find the fuel filter i am having same problem finding the fuel filter my Hiace is 2003 so will be the same as yours. 
From what i can see so far i think it is under the drivers seat which needs to be unbolted.