My First Car

Dear All,

Having turned 18, my Mom has given me a brand new Yaris YR 1.3l automatic :D I know its nothing big or fancy but it costs alot to us, and to me that Yaris is as good as and even better than any car on the road.

I have some questions that I hope you guys can shed some light on. Be4 I begin I have done forum searches, and reach through numerous posts. Nothing exactly helped me as I have no idea where to begin. I don't have much of a family other than my mom, sis and my gf so I couldn't really ask anyone for help either and all my friends had conflicting views so I figured I might as well ask here, where the true enthusiasts are.

All my questions are caring for my car; I really treasure and value it (to the extent some of you might even go "its just a yaris" but to me its more than anything I could have hoped for), anyway here goes:

1) Maintenance: I intend to have my car serviced every 10,000km - are these checks sufficient to keep my car in great condition? Is there anything I should be doing inbetween like oil checks etc (i have no idea what they are but I've heard my friends talk about them)?

2) Car cleaning: i know this may be abit of an overkill but when the car is delivered to my door, should I do a ground up job (wash, surface preparation, polish, wax, interior detailing, scotch guard cleaning and protecting, glass polishing, and wheel/rim detailing) or should I just do what's lacking? Also are surface preps harmful to the paintjob? Its also not possible that I wash the car in the shade as my house does not have a garage - does this have a major impact?

3) With regards to bird droppings and things like that, will cleaning it off with meguiars quick detail be effective enough to prevent any damage to the paint job?

4) Are there any accessories you would recommend I get? So far I've listed some optional things like sheep skin covers for additional comfort but some of my friends say that it's more of a pain because apparently it doesn't do much and also adds to cleaning and causes more dust and allergens to accumulate so I'm half hearted on this one.

5) Is the standard steel wheels with the caps really as awfully bad as everyone makes them out to be (e.g. squeaky etc.); do I really need alloy wheels? I think the standard wheels look fine ..

6) Should I get a steering wheel lock even though I'm getting comprehensive car insurance and also upgrading to a decent car alarm system (can someone recommend something and who to do it? insurance company approved please)

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. I'm sorry its alot of questions but I really have no one to ask .. I tried the library but they weren't exactly helpful and the internet sites most of which are very very conflicting and contradictory of each other. Thank you all once again!

Dear All,

Having turned 18, my Mom has given me a brand new Yaris YR 1.3l automatic :D I know its nothing big or fancy but it costs alot to us, and to me that Yaris is as good as and even better than any car on the road.

I have some questions that I hope you guys can shed some light on. Be4 I begin I have done forum searches, and reach through numerous posts. Nothing exactly helped me as I have no idea where to begin. I don't have much of a family other than my mom, sis and my gf so I couldn't really ask anyone for help either and all my friends had conflicting views so I figured I might as well ask here, where the true enthusiasts are.

All my questions are caring for my car; I really treasure and value it (to the extent some of you might even go "its just a yaris" but to me its more than anything I could have hoped for), anyway here goes:

1) Maintenance: I intend to have my car serviced every 10,000km - are these checks sufficient to keep my car in great condition? Is there anything I should be doing inbetween like oil checks etc (i have no idea what they are but I've heard my friends talk about them)?

2) Car cleaning: i know this may be abit of an overkill but when the car is delivered to my door, should I do a ground up job (wash, surface preparation, polish, wax, interior detailing, scotch guard cleaning and protecting, glass polishing, and wheel/rim detailing) or should I just do what's lacking? Also are surface preps harmful to the paintjob? Its also not possible that I wash the car in the shade as my house does not have a garage - does this have a major impact?

3) With regards to bird droppings and things like that, will cleaning it off with meguiars quick detail be effective enough to prevent any damage to the paint job?

4) Are there any accessories you would recommend I get? So far I've listed some optional things like sheep skin covers for additional comfort but some of my friends say that it's more of a pain because apparently it doesn't do much and also adds to cleaning and causes more dust and allergens to accumulate so I'm half hearted on this one.

5) Is the standard steel wheels with the caps really as awfully bad as everyone makes them out to be (e.g. squeaky etc.); do I really need alloy wheels? I think the standard wheels look fine ..

6) Should I get a steering wheel lock even though I'm getting comprehensive car insurance and also upgrading to a decent car alarm system (can someone recommend something and who to do it? insurance company approved please)

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. I'm sorry its alot of questions but I really have no one to ask .. I tried the library but they weren't exactly helpful and the internet sites most of which are very very conflicting and contradictory of each other. Thank you all once again!

Congratulations on the car

Nice car too and glad you want to look after it J :D

If you don’t want to spend too much my suggestion for protection is a can of scotchgard for the seat, maybe some floor mats (Toyota ones as they fit better ) and you might want a tint but get an after market one with that is not too dark, it protects the interior makes it look better, helps keep it cooler and also makes it hard for thieves to smash your windows as it acts like a laminate. The other thing is a tint will help save fuel by not kicking the air con all the time.

I would check the tyres are the correct pressure and its also not a bad idea to go a little higher on the pressure, safer and saves a bit of fuel and handles better.

For paint protection I recommend using a couple of coats of Canubra (spelling?) wax and wash with a good car wash that does not remove the polish. They are usually fairly helpful in supercheap auto. The wax helps save paint damage by the elements and tree sap and stuff. Wash any dodgy stuff of regularly. Try to do it in the shade maybe at the end of the day. Also get a good chamois and dry it that way.

I would go to a bigger insurance company ,ask for several quotes over the phone. Suncorp, RAC (q or wherever you are is a good start.

don’t worry about the wheels if you go on the forum you might be tempted for some new ones but if your happy no need to get something you don’t want. :)

I would not worry with a steering wheel lock. Depends where you live

Edited by perthcamry

If I've got comprehensive insurance and an upgraded alarm system, do I still need a steering wheel lock? I park off the street at night as my house has no garage .. this is in the east malvern area but its not a very affluent estate .. pretty rats ***** one actually .. would it help tho ?? i mean i have tinted windows, the blinking dash leds, and the loud alarm system with back up battery and comprehensive insurance .. how necessary is a steering wheel lock ??

the yaris as well as just about all new cars come with a steering wheel lock, if you turn the wheel after you take the key out the wheel will lock in place and wont be released untill you put the key back in. This would be as good as any steering wheel lock that you can purschase.

hey first of all GO THE YARIS!!!! i got one recently as well! ok next watch the indicators mine jus fell off one day drivin along the highway! if ur not sure about wheels an wateva jus check out my garage it has a pic of yaris!! enjoy ur yaris

:D

:o what do you mean it just fell off ??? erm .. like which indicator ?? and erm .. how !?

NICE CHOICE I LOVE THE YARIS(i have even considered getting rid of my rolla to buy one)!!!!!!! Go have a look in the echo section of this forum i posted a few nice pics of the company "C-ONE" in japan and the bodykits they have available for the YARIS!!!!!!*cleaning products* Dont ever use Armour-all products on ur dash they are super-rich in silicone and oil and cause your dash to overheat in direct sunlight and gradually make the vinyl perish,become brittle and crack!!!!!

*Steering locks* To most car thieves it screams i dont have an alarm come steal me the only thing a "club-lock" is good for is a bit of leagal in car protection from D1cKheads!!!LOL Really just get a car alarm!!you dont have to get anything fancy just aslong as you have window sensors, doors, boot and bonnet sensors and it SCREAMS its head off!!!

It only takes two seconds to brake a factory steering wheel lock and like 30secs to cut the steering wheel with a hack-saw to take off a club-lock so these things slow down a theif but dun do squatt!!! an alarm is the best bet!!!!!

1) If you run your tyre pressures higher your tyres last longer too, the little card always recommmends a pressure thats too low. Oil checks are just pop the bonnet, pull out the dip stick (a little yellow plastic ring is on the end), clean oil off with something, put back into slot, pull out again and if its between full and low its all good. Make sure its checked while the engine is cold and car is level.

5) Nothing wrong with steelies, just don't get those annoying shiny hub caps from Kmart

6) Your best bet is to ring your insurance company up and ask them which alarms are approved.

alloys or not is for your own preference....

if you wanna change along the way.... start saving else it really doesn't matter.... some people take a car as a point A to B whereas others take a little more than just that.

get a more respectable insurance company should anything goes wrong, racq is a good one but it is hyper expensive plus your age unless you could tag along with your mum as the 2nd driver.

last off.. ENJOY your ride!!

Oh also do your self a favor and do an advanced driver training course with good company that can teach you the finer points of driving, wet braking and other safety/fun stuff.....it could save you more than any other protective features :lol:

Dear All,

Congratulations, nice, reliable, econimical new car what more do you want :D

Periodically - Once a week, spend two minutes to check oil level (with the dipstick), brake fluid level (just look at the little bottle) power steering fluid (again just look at the bottle), coolant fluid level (you should be able to just look at the level on the outside of the bottle/reservour) and also tyre pressures when ever you fill up at a Petrol station

Don't use armour all/meguirs or similar on interior/exterior plastics, it will actually make them age quicker, no need to wax/polish immediately, however. particularly if the car's parked outside, it's important to polish/wax every six months. I do mine just before summer to protect again bird doo and just before winter to protect again rain and road grime.

As long as you wash it off immediately it wont damage the paint and no need to use the quick polish/detail stuff

I've found the sheep skin ones make alot of dust/fluff!, but using the fabric ones are a good idea, floor mats are also a must, you'd be amazed how much you carry on your feet.

90% people change to alloy wheels for the look, nothing wrong with steel wheels and never heard them to be squeaky? Standard wheels are fine if you're happy with them, no need to spend money.

Steering wheel locks are a good visual deterent, nothing wrong with being too safe, most major ins companies are ok, I've found aami to be reasonable, when I first got my licence I went through insurance brokers who found me the best rate, once I got my rating one I ditched the broker. Also check who your parants are with, sometimes you can get a better rating being with the same company.

Edited by IZZ-FE

Don't use armour all/meguirs or similar on interior/exterior plastics, it will actually make them age quicker, no need to wax/polish immediately, however. particularly if the car's parked outside, it's important to polish/wax every six months. I do mine just before summer to protect again bird doo and just before winter to protect again rain and road grime.

What should we use on the dash?

I searched but could find no answers :unsure:

Personally, I think it's best to use nothing, I keep a chamois cloth for the interior only and pick up any dust/dirt using that. You don't get that nice shiny look from products, but in the end it will be better.

The thing about using those silicon based products is if you keep using it on a regular basis, it's all fine, but you once you've started applying it, you need to do it always, otherwise the rubber/plastics dry out and start to age.