Squeaky Windscreen

breezey

I need help with my Camry (Altise late 2004).

When the wipers are on (doesn't matter how much water being poured on) there is squeaky noise on the windscreen (it is as if the wiper blade has worn out). I have checked with Toyota and the blade is fine. Toyota mechanic I spoke to said that the windscreen was coated with a kind of film when it was out from the factory and somehow the film is wearing away. Unfortunately Toyota hasn't come up with a solution.

I hardly could believe that. What do you think?

What may cause the squeaky noise other than a worn out wiper blade? The noise has been there two or three months since I bought the car brand new from Toyota dealer. Please give me some input. Is there any treatment that I can apply to the windscreen to solve this? Thanks a lot.

my 05 Sportivo has the same problem as well, but got fixed by toyota. The mechanic said this problem is normal as the bad design of the wipers.

and i did try Rain-X, but it made the noise louder because less rain will stay on the windscreen.

Thanks a lot for all your replies. Toyota has changed the angle of the wipers in an effort to reduce the noise but I don't think that made much difference.

I will try what you suggest here, putting rain-x or buying a new blade. Any recommendation for blade?

Did you recently polished your car ? I found that if you polish the roof, after raining, the wipers will get squeaky. Try cleaning your windscreen with car wax.

Are you sure that car wax wont do any harm to the windscreen? Isn't a car wax oil based?

Thanks.

Are you sure that car wax wont do any harm to the windscreen? Isn't a car wax oil based?

I've used wax to clean my side windows when it gets too dirty. You can try cleaning a small part of it and see if it still squeak when the wipers passes through it. Wax makes surfaces more slipery therefore should be less squeaky. Or if you are too afraid to try wax on your car, try it first on your old car if you have one.

process of elimination.

1. Windscreen wipers. Keep the old ones if they are in good condition.

2. Try some rain-x

3. Try polishing the window. (i'm not sure if this would even work, but hey, what have you got to loose)

Ummm I had the same problem after using some very strong detergent at the Matilda servo near Gympie. It was raining at the time and I just gave it a good clean to get rid of the bug bits. It did that as well but also seemed to wreck the rubber in the windscreen wipers and it squeaked. :rolleyes:

This was on a 2-year-old Golf and in the rain. I think some of the detergents may destroy the wiper blades or maybe the windscreen. :o

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys.

I have the same problem as well.

Sometimes when it's raining and I have the wipers on (Duh!), I get the sqeeking sound

NOT all the time, but every now and then.

I figured it was the wiper arm pressing up against the window too hard, and of course making the

actual wiper press up against the window alot harder, and thus causing the sqeek!