Rear Sway Bar bushes?

dominover

Is it possible to get a creaking noise from worn rear sway bar bushes ?

I have a 1999 toyota starlet 3 door hatch.. Still diagnosing the problem but I think this could be it.

Is there any real need to replace the sway bar if there's a creaking noise or just the bushes?  I'm yet to see how it works down there. 

Best to put the car on ramps then get under and have a look at the bushes. Give the sway bar a bit of a shake; there should be no movement. No harm in giving the bushes a bit of a spray with silicone to reduce any squeaking noises. 

The creaking noise is more likely coming from the coil springs. Possibly the rubber seat is worn or moved out of position so there is metal to metal contact. Another possibility is gravel caught in the spring seat area. Hopefully a good spray with silicone is all that is needed.

• 2 weeks later...

The coil springs and rubbers look bran new.  I believe they were replaced a couple of years ago according to the paperwork from the previous owner. 

It's not making noise from the up and down bouncing of the car I've found.  I thought it was.

It seems to be when the car is rocked and moving at the same time.  The noise only appears when I turn left (from the right rear).  

I'm a little confused about the parts under the car so i was hoping you all could take a look at the parts I've posted below and tell me if they could make the noise. 

The first part runs behind the rear cross strut (I believe it's called a Panhard Rod).  Picture below.  You can see a yellow ruber where it joins to the hub just behind the wheel.  I thought this could possibly cause a noise when turning left.

As for the second image, I'm not sure what you call this, but I can see a rubber inside the join.  It is where the two rods coming off the rear cross strut attach to the underside of the car.  Does anyone know what this is called and would the left join make noise when turning left? 

LATE ADDITION: I THINK THIS IS CALLED THE TRAILING ARM.  THE TRAILING ARM BUSHING COULD NEED REPLACING?  WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Thanks

panhard_rod.jpg

struts.png

Edited by dominover

The "rear strut" is the rear axle. The sway bar is bolted to the underside of this.

The longitudinal rods you have drawn are most likely the trailing arms.

The latitudinal rod is the panhard rod(although it may have other names). It appears that the bushes could be new(Whiteline) from your photo.

This is not my car.  These are photos i got from the internet.  

Would the right trialing arm bush make noise when turning left?

Would the right panhard rod bush make noise when turning left?

They both could.

Just take it to Pedders or similar and have a safety check done, they aren't very expensive. Let a professional diagnose it in person for you.

If you then feel the need to DIY, attempt to replace them yourself.

These are photos of the underside of my car.  The first two pics are the right rear panhard rod bush.  The scratch marks are just from my fingers.

The third pic are the rear trailing arm bush.  Not sure how difficult it will be to replace both but I'm going to do it anyway. Hard to get these parts in Australia. Any clues as to where I can get them.  All the major chains, Bursons, Repco, S'cheap, Autobarn, dont' sell them. 

Panhard rod bush.

Rear trailing arm bush.

IMG_20161204_115805_1.jpg

IMG_20161204_115313 (1).jpg

IMG_20161204_115350.jpg

I have used Sikaflex 252 Polyurethane adhesive or similar to repair/reinforce engine mounts 

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/Sikaflex-Adhesive-252-310ml-Black/381165

In your case, you would need to remove the trailing arm, fill the bush spaces with Sikaflex then allow 24 hours for the adhesive to fully cure before refitting the trailing arm. 

This will be a lot easier and cheaper than trying to press out the existing bushes and pressing in replacement polyurethane bushes. Know this from personal experience replacing the transmission mount on my Nissan Pulsar.

2 hours ago, campbeam said:

I have used Sikaflex 252 Polyurethane adhesive or similar to repair/reinforce engine mounts 

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/Sikaflex-Adhesive-252-310ml-Black/381165

In your case, you would need to remove the trailing arm, fill the bush spaces with Sikaflex then allow 24 hours for the adhesive to fully cure before refitting the trailing arm. 

This will be a lot easier and cheaper than trying to press out the existing bushes and pressing in replacement polyurethane bushes. Know this from personal experience replacing the transmission mount on my Nissan Pulsar.

Whilst that method is fine for engine mounts, it should definitely not be used for suspension/steering components.

If you are unable to source bushes from Whiteline, Nolathane or Superpro, then genuine will be your only legal and safe repair.