Jake33284

Hi guys,

My Kluger is blowing smoke on occasion. Sometimes at start up. Sometimes whilst driving. 

When it happens while driving there's a couple of small audible clicks before a big puff of smoke. 

It smells oily yet yet it isn't over filled. I serviced it to see if it'd fix the problem and it hasn't. Any ideas. The click is vertually an indicator that it's going to do it. 

Any ideas as to what it means or what it could be. 

Thanks

Check your engine for accumulated oil sludge build up in the front valve cover which has the PCV valve. Check/clean the PCV valve. Something else I do is to undo the oil housing and inspect the oil filter cartridge. You may also see "coffee grounds" in the oil which are the undissolved oil sludge deposits. If your engine has a fair bit of sludge, then the quickest solution is to remove the front valve cover and thoroughly clean the oil channels leading to the PCV valve. After the engine has been adequately desludged, then use quality oils preferably synthetic or semi-synthetic. Being "old school", I believe in oil and filter changes every 5,000 km especially for city type driving.  Positive Crankcase Understanding.doc

White smoke on start up.doc

Thanks for the response. 

It is a little sludgy and the PCV was fowled so I replaced that and ran an engine flush through. Changed the oil and filter. Is taking the valve cover off a big job? Is there a gasket I will have to replace? 

What do you imagine the clicking noise might be?

thanks again

I have not taken the valve cover off myself but it should not be too bad a job. I would allow a few hours even though others would probably get it done in 30 minutes.

For reference purposes, I have this valve cover gasket in my eBay Watch List

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/161220972470?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The same for these oil filter cartridges which I previously purchased from this eBay seller

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/182355687844?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I was thinking/guessing that the clicking noise could be PCV valve but would not bet my lunch money on it.

5 hours ago, campbeam said:

I have not taken the valve cover off myself but it should not be too bad a job. I would allow a few hours even though others would probably get it done in 30 minutes.

The rear one is not fun.

6 minutes ago, trentmeyer23 said:

The rear one is not fun.

Exactly. Personally, I would be leaving the rear valve cover alone until I need to replace the spark plugs and/or the air fuel sensor for bank 1. Fortunately the PCV valve is located on the front valve cover and my time estimate was just for the front valve cover.