more ae92 questions.

ok, i have already discovered from the helpfulness of this forum the main information that i needed about the car in general.

but now i would like some help for more trivial questions.

the ae92 i am thinking of buying is a low end 4af carby model, and has no tacho.

my question is, would i be able to buy the instrument cluster from a higher model with the 4af engine and just swap them? eg: would the low end seca have the tacho plugs and wiring already behind the dash and just not used?

and my other question, assuming that i could swap the instrument cluster is, would i be able to change the odo so the new cluster shows the same km's as the old?

thanks.

ok, i have already discovered from the helpfulness of this forum the main information that i needed about the car in general.

but now i would like some help for more trivial questions.

the ae92 i am thinking of buying is a low end 4af carby model, and has no tacho.

my question is, would i be able to buy the instrument cluster from a higher model with the 4af engine and just swap them? eg: would the low end seca have the tacho plugs and wiring already behind the dash and just not used?

and my other question, assuming that i could swap the instrument cluster is, would i be able to change the odo so the new cluster shows the same km's as the old?

thanks.

www.twincam.org might be a better place to ask since they have the older model Toytas.

With regards to your ODO, it is illegal to change the number, even to what it used to read. But some shonky person would do it with some searching, you could also try to swap the spedometers around (not sure if this is possible on this car) thus keeping the old milage. Normal practice is to write down the milage from the old cluster in the user manual. But a photo stapled in would prove it a little better.

Could always buy an aftermarket tacho, but it doesn't sound like you wanna go that option.

Yep, if you get the tacho cluster out of a carby CS-X then it's a straight swap.

EDIT: Here's a pic of my old cluster, note the speedo is on the left & the tacho on the right. Click to enlarge.

th_99427_DSC00046.JPG

Otherwise you could also get the SX cluster which includes other goodies such as oil pressure & voltmeter however that requires rewiring the existing loom & an additional plug needs to be fitted.

thanks.

I think SuperDave summed up this one pretty well, I was lucky that my new & old clusters had almost identical mileage...

Edited by Conquest