This is the first automatic I've owned. How does the Camry 6 speed automatic compare to other cars?

thisguy

I have driven automatics before I bought my Camry. But that was years ago and until this car I've only owned manuals.

I'm showing my ignorance about automatics here. How smooth or otherwise would automatics in other current models of cars be compared to the six speed automatic Camry? I have a 4 cylinder 2.5 litre 2018 Camry. I'm still getting used to what seems like a gear change where it revs up somewhat at around the 70 kmh mark.

I won't mind if somebody tells me the automatic transmissions in the Mazdas or Hondas are smoother (i.e. the non-CVTs) as I wouldn't have bought either of those cars for other reasons anyway. I mean, I feel suspicious of Mazda's iStop (I don't want the car to decide for itself to stop the engine) and Honda was just too expensive for my budget, plus Toyota has the reliability I need.

Thanks.

I have had many camrys, aurions and their transmissions are usually smooth and changes virtually undetectable.
To put your mind at rest they are also about as durable and reliable and reliable as you can get.
If you suspect the changes are not right then report it to your dealer so they can check it out.
They are a "learning" automatic... ie, they adapt to your driving style. 
Good move avoiding the istop... they are a battery killer.
#1 tip.. do not fiddle with them... the days of checking plugs etc are long gone.  Just drive it, enjoy it and get it serviced as per the log book by a reputable mechanic or dealer.