Hello! New member with my 5th gen celica

Vhox

I've gotten my first car! a 1993 toyota celica WRC Trophy with a 4 speed auto, It cost $400 and has done 273,000 km... How much of a money trap will this thing be? I've already had the engine mounts replaced, I helped replace the passenger side CV joint and i'm having the rear main seal down now aswell haha! i haven't really driven it at all since i purchased it, do they drive nicely? Is the motor any good?

20180930_125841.jpg

On 12/26/2018 at 6:16 PM, Vhox said:

do they drive nicely?

I think that is going to very much depend upon the condition of the suspension and whether the front and rear shock absorbers/struts need to be replaced.

Is the motor any good?

In my opinion, the Toyota FS-FE motor is a solid and reliable motor but not a performance engine.

http://australiancar.reviews/5S-FE-engine.php

Hopefully, the drive train has been well maintained. Note that the differential is a separate fill to the transmission.

https://www.datateck.com.au/Lube/PenriteAus/

done 273,000 km... How much of a money trap will this thing be?

Hopefully not but that very much depends upon the current condition of the vehicle and how previous owners have driven it. Good idea to do a full fluid change and regular maintenance. Because I am DIY and a great believer in preventative maintenance, I have a tendency to over-service my vehicles.

Welcome to the forum Harry, as Ashley said like anything if it is maintained well yes reliable and a nice drive..from your Pic's the outside seems to have been looked after..hope you don't have too many issues..however a lot of good brains on here can help out

KAA

When I got the car a few months back that paint had all faded from being left out in the sun for a year or 2... The owner had the car resprayed and didn't put a clear coat on, so a buff made a massive difference. Car also came with a dent which i've repaired poorly... See scratches through the paint! I have however purchased a parts car with a GT4 bonnet and a perfect guard so I will be respraying those in the near future and throwing them on my car.

20 hours ago, Vhox said:

I have however purchased a parts car with a GT4 bonnet and a perfect guard so I will be respraying those in the near future and throwing them on my car.

The joys of a project have begun. I would definitely like to see a photo when you have done that work.