Kluger 2014 GSU55R - touchscreen not working

CAB80

Screen stopped working, see photo attached. The white loading bar gets close to the finish then screen goes blank and repeats. I have disconnected battery and this has not helped.

Anyone that can help?  This was the first of the current shape Klugers and does not have any SD card slot.

thanks in advance

4A0100AF-1116-4AED-8407-5522A63F778F.jpeg

Found this which may help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ3fhf5gkt8

Please read the comments and use with discretion as it may make things worse, however some of the comments seem positive such as 'This actually worked on my 2014 Highlander !. Thank you so much'

I just bought a 2017 GX Kluger ....... gutted the original headunit for a 10 inch android based one.  Not perfect as it's made for LHD but does carplay and is a hell of alot more functional then Toyotas crap.....  haven't figured out the steering wheel controls just yet (had two days so far).  So if no luck maybe that? .....  or hunt down a used genuine one - very easy to fit or replace.

IMG_2154.JPG

Edited by BDCool1983

• 1 year later...

I have had the same problem start after jump starting our 14 Kluger. We have done a few factory updates over the years and have had no issues so far. 
Have so far attempted: 

holding down power button to reset system. 

disconnecting the negative terminal. 

disconnecting negative terminal and pumping brakes three times (saw it online..)

holding Apps buttons and turning lights on three times like you tube video mentioned above. 

so far the loading bar still gets stuck a couple of mm from the end and we are left with no radio, Bluetooth, reverse camera or USB port under the stereo. Anyone had any solutions to this problem before I go and spend a heap of coin with Toyota?

Hi James, If you tried the procedure in the video linked above then I'd say it's cactus mate. Did you try the procedure more than once ? Sometimes it may not work on the first go. Sounds like it's corrupted and not able to complete the boot procedure. Factory Toyota head units are rubbish to be honest. My CD player failed many years ago and I'm not surprised as it's a cheap fujitsu product. I wished Toyota would put more care in the head units as they do with the engineering they throw in these cars.

Thanks tony

Yes that is what I was fearing...

I will take it to our local Toyota place and see what they think. Then it might be best replacing it with an aftermarket unit. They still compatible with reverse or camera and all other functions from Kruger?

5 hours ago, Kluges said:

Then it might be best replacing it with an aftermarket unit. They still compatible with reverse or camera and all other functions from Kruger?

Not sure about that. Best to ask the seller as they would know this information. I have heard the camera may still work but the other controls, eg, steering controls may need to be reworked to function. Maybe others who have installed aftermarket head units can chime in. My experience in this dept is limited unfortunately.

Let us know how you get on.

All the best :thumbsup:

• 4 months later...
On 10/2/2019 at 5:41 PM, CAB80 said:

Screen stopped working, see photo attached. The white loading bar gets close to the finish then screen goes blank and repeats. I have disconnected battery and this has not helped.

Anyone that can help?  This was the first of the current shape Klugers and does not have any SD card slot.

thanks in advance

4A0100AF-1116-4AED-8407-5522A63F778F.jpeg

Mine same problem with the same picture on the screen.

Any solution for it please?

thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Rezan said:

Hi, I  have the same problem, any solution?

Pretty much as the above. These head units are poor quality and most will fail over time so don't waste your money at the stealership. If you want to keep it original, then there are plenty available from local wreckers or you can try Ebay. There are also aftermarket solutions too. Just avoid the generic made in china models. They are problematic and will frustrate you.

On 1/7/2021 at 7:54 PM, Kluges said:

I have had the same problem start after jump starting our 14 Kluger.

Looks like a very sensitive item. The jump start may have jolted the electronics. I wonder if the head unit was "off" would it also have the same consequence.

It is quite disappointing that you can lose your head unit by simply jump starting your vehicle, assuming it was jump started according to the book. 

21 hours ago, Rezan said:

Hi, I  have the same problem, any solution?

15 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Pretty much as the above. These head units are poor quality and most will fail over time so don't waste your money at the stealership. If you want to keep it original, then there are plenty available from local wreckers or you can try Ebay. There are also aftermarket solutions too. Just avoid the generic made in china models. They are problematic and will frustrate you.

Thank you Tony

• 7 months later...

We bought 2nd hand 2016 Kluger recently and buttons on some parts of the screen like the ones at the very bottom wont work. Is there a film or something over the screen that may have been cleaned off or is this the beginning of a slow demise?

12 hours ago, VoxAC30 said:

Is there a film or something over the screen that may have been cleaned off or is this the beginning of a slow demise?

No, there isn't any film. Looks like it's on the way out. 

The touch sensitivity on the screen in my Aurion is also becoming lazy to in operative. They are all junk head units supplied by Fujitsu for Toyota. I just wish they'd apply their "kaizen" principle to their head units the same way they do for the rest of their manufacturing process. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys,

my touch screen is working but I have to press lower than the actual “button” I want to press in order to select things. This hasn’t been world ending until I needed to ‘add’ my new phone and the ‘add’ button is right at the bottom so I can’t press below on the touchscreen in order to “land” on it. 
Does anyone know how to realign the touchscreen?

Thanks!

Looks like the screen calibration is off. it's a very common problem with all touch screen head units unfortunately. Modern tech makes life easier for the most part, but anything that's digital can be fickle and temperamental. 

I also hate how the techs at the dealerships will always opt to "replace" the head unit as they either couldn't be bothered to seek out a solution or they aren't told how to fix them. Problem is, they all seem to think we have a money tree in our back yard and dropping $1100 on another piece of junk that will potentially fail again is ludicrous. Talk about a throw away Society !

I'm not sure how to perform a calibration of these head units but you can try doing a reset by disconnecting the battery for half an hour or so and see if that helps. It probably won't, but it's worth a try. Failing that I found a quick solution using a credit card trick, or any card that has a magnetic strip for the "button" that doesn't respond. In your case the target button section has gone adrift and maybe you need to try and press the are below the target, which is more than likely the area under the bezel where the screen extends. There's around a centimetre of extra screen hidden by the facia bezel, so this could be accessible with a credit card. 

You can also see if there's a software update for your unit if or when you visit the dealer for your next service.

This video may help.

Edited by Tony Prodigy

• 10 months later...

If anyone needs a stock headunit I still have mine and could sell it.  I dunno if they vin lock any of these or not but mine was working perfectly when I removed it.  It's just been sitting in a box ever since.

I'll happily sell it for like $500 shipping ontop.   It's from a 2017 model.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...