campbeam

How to top up a Century Maintenance Free Battery

With a maintenance type battery, you can easily check the fluid level in each battery cell and top up as required.

It is a different matter with a maintenance free battery but the fluid level in each battery cell will eventually go down. When this happens, the state of charge indicator will go from green to red.

The attached document shows how to restore the fluid level in the battery and potentially restore the state of charge indicator back to the green.

This has worked for me in restoring 2 Century Maintenance Free Batteries, one back in 2018 and one in July 2020.

How to easily Fill a Century Maintenance Free Battery.docx

• Thanks 1

That's really interesting Ashley. Thanks for posting. :thumbsup:

It has taken about 4 weeks for the state of charge indicator to be consistently back in the green. Certainly took longer because of my driving short distances and with the headlights on all the time. Eventually I went back to just having the parking lights on during daytime and this has helped with maintaining a full battery charge. 

Next target will eventually be the battery in the girlfriend's Yaris. A few months ago that battery was complimentary tested at 89% by a local tyre workshop and they recommended that she buy a new battery. I was not happy and that battery is still going strong.