TRD RADIATOR PRESSURE CAP/ TRD THERMOSTAT

I own a 2001 Toyota Corolla Runx 1800cc 2ZZ-GE engine w/ the 6-speed gearbox and I am thinking about installing both the TRD radiator pressure cap and the TRD thermostat, however I would like to hear from people who have both of these products installed if they ever had any problems with their radiators "springing a leak" shortly after these products were installed due to the increased pressure that the system will be under due to the higher-pressure radiator cap.

Just for analytical purposes, I think, unless I am proven otherwise that these upgrades will give the engine a greater temperature band to run in without getting unnessarily hot since the standard pressure cap operates at 88kPa which means that the water in the system will boil out at 96 degress Celsius whereas, with the new cap its rating is 127 kPa with a corresponding boiling temperature of 106 degreres Celsius, also the new thermostat opens at 71 degrees Celsius therefore, the operating range of my engine can be anywhere between 71 - 106 degrees Celsius with the cooling fans cutting in at 93 degrees Celsius as they normally do, however, my only concern with this upgrade is the issue I think there might be with the radiator.

Can anyone share their thoughts and experiences. Thanks

I own a 2001 Toyota Corolla Runx 1800cc 2ZZ-GE engine w/ the 6-speed gearbox and I am thinking about installing both the TRD radiator pressure cap and the TRD thermostat, however I would like to hear from people who have both of these products installed if they ever had any problems with their radiators "springing a leak" shortly after these products were installed due to the increased pressure that the system will be under due to the higher-pressure radiator cap.

Just for analytical purposes, I think, unless I am proven otherwise that these upgrades will give the engine a greater temperature band to run in without getting unnessarily hot since the standard pressure cap operates at 88kPa which means that the water in the system will boil out at 96 degress Celsius whereas, with the new cap its rating is 127 kPa with a corresponding boiling temperature of 106 degreres Celsius, also the new thermostat opens at 71 degrees Celsius therefore, the operating range of my engine can be anywhere between 71 - 106 degrees Celsius with the cooling fans cutting in at 93 degrees Celsius as they normally do, however, my only concern with this upgrade is the issue I think there might be with the radiator.

Can anyone share their thoughts and experiences. Thanks

hey there i have both in my car as well as hondata gasket and it run lots cool and more efficent been in there for about 40000 km and had no probems with it all cheers jason

Buzziesportivo & Northy:

Thanks for your responses. I really appreciate it and I will definately go ahead and purchase these products.

Sportiyo:

I got that picture by copying it from another member on this forum, I can't remember his forum name, but you are free to do the same with mine if you so desire.

what is the part-number for hondata gasket ?

Their web site just calls it heatsheild for toyota celica gts and matrix. I imagine its universal.

hondata

as far as the intake manifold gasket is concerned, they are all the same, the block for all the 2zz's is the same its the intake and exhaust manifolds that are diff, ie the celica's throttle body is at right angles to the ground where the sportivo's is at almost 45 pointing up..

Buzziesportivo & Northy:

Thanks for your responses. I really appreciate it and I will definately go ahead and purchase these products.

Sportiyo:

I got that picture by copying it from another member on this forum, I can't remember his forum name, but you are free to do the same with mine if you so desire.

haha that member is me, thats y i ask, its ok u can use it mate :)

Sportiyo:

haha that member is me, thats y i ask, its ok u can use it mate :)

hahahahaha thats gold. :P

• 1 year later...

hi!

sorry to bring this old post up.. :P

im planning to get this..

but ive heard that these stuff will cause the engine to make less power and use more fuel..

is it true??

on a warm day...my car feels really sluggish after driving and stopping for a couple of hours

so i hope by getting this will solve the problem.

Engines are designed to work at a certain temperature, what temperature the 2zz is designed for I wouldn't know. But being a TRD part you would think they would know something I don't.

Plus if your car is stationary it wont make a difference to the coolent temperature since there is no air flow. Thats my thinking on the thermostat, someone who actually uses one might reply with better information.

Edited by SuperDave

Engines are designed to work at a certain temperature, what temperature the 2zz is designed for I wouldn't know. But being a TRD part you would think they would know something I don't.

Plus if your car is stationary it wont make a difference to the coolent temperature since there is no air flow. Thats my thinking on the thermostat, someone who actually uses one might reply with better information.

thx dave!

well i should correct myself.. more like driving for couple of hours..

like driving a lot of short trips...

any1 with it can tell wat they r like?