What's this?

Pia

I have a '94 Toyota Tarago. 

It's running fine, although it does need a new oil level sensor. I recently discovered this cable hanging down, but don't know what it is.

Anyone able to tell me what it is?

It's hard to tell but what are we looking at, the engine or transmission ?? Is it an automatic ?

Are there any usual indications on the instrument cluster ?

I would take a stab and say that it's a fluid temp sensor but not sure if I'm looking at the engine or trans.

Doesn't help when the 2TZ essentially lays on its side, so what we're looking at is actually the _side_ of the block

As far as I can tell it's the Oil Pressure switch, you can see the light-grey switch in the bottom-right of this picture on the oil pump/filter/SAD housing.

spacer.png

On 9/23/2021 at 10:41 AM, Hiro said:

Doesn't help when the 2TZ essentially lays on its side, so what we're looking at is actually the _side_ of the block

Wow, now that is one unusual engine. I've never seen one before.

Initially I thought it could be an oil pressure switch, which is why I asked the O.P if there was any unusual lights indicating in the cluster. Check engine warning or something of that nature should be illunimated seeing that the wiring has been clean ripped off.

3 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Wow, now that is one unusual engine. I've never seen one before.

The 2TZ is unique to the Estima/Tarago/Previa but the design philosophy is used a lot on buses etc to allow for a mid- or rear-mounted engine whilst still keeping floor levels low.

More weirdly for Toyota, the 2TZ is also the _only_ TZ engine, there is no 1TZ (I think it's the only Toyota engine series to start at 2)