Shocks for 50mm+ drop

Mintos

G'day all,

Havnt been on here for a while, looks like some scuffles have unfolded, hehe, the mods are getting strict.

Anyhows...to cover my @r$e...i am aware many threads exist about this 'topic', but i am after a specific response and no previous posts cover exactly what i am pinpointing here.

I will be getting a new suspension setup for my conquest sometime soon(ish) and i am looking at king super lows with accompanying after market shocks. Why not coil overs? I have no intention of doing any track runs, i need some suspension with a bit of softness to compensate for the $h1t roads in my area AND coilovers are bloody expensive :(

So with all those 'alternatives' aside, what is there in the range of performance shocks that will function intendedly for a ~50mm drop? From experiences and research, konis and the sorts seem to have a large issue of bottoming out when placed under substantial stress (the roads in my area are 50% potholes). So, i need some shocks that will deliver optimal performance with a 50mm drop, because lets face it, lows just don't cut it - if you are going to lower your car, do it properly and don't waste time with crap that is just shy of stock ride height.

Cheers all, appreciate any responses.

G'day all,

Havnt been on here for a while, looks like some scuffles have unfolded, hehe, the mods are getting strict.

Anyhows...to cover my @r$e...i am aware many threads exist about this 'topic', but i am after a specific response and no previous posts cover exactly what i am pinpointing here.

I will be getting a new suspension setup for my conquest sometime soon(ish) and i am looking at king super lows with accompanying after market shocks. Why not coil overs? I have no intention of doing any track runs, i need some suspension with a bit of softness to compensate for the $h1t roads in my area AND coilovers are bloody expensive :(

So with all those 'alternatives' aside, what is there in the range of performance shocks that will function intendedly for a ~50mm drop? From experiences and research, konis and the sorts seem to have a large issue of bottoming out when placed under substantial stress (the roads in my area are 50% potholes). So, i need some shocks that will deliver optimal performance with a 50mm drop, because lets face it, lows just don't cut it - if you are going to lower your car, do it properly and don't waste time with crap that is just shy of stock ride height.

Cheers all, appreciate any responses.

Mate if you want a cheap pair of shocks go down to pedders and they have those sports ryder suspension shocks.

You could however opt for TRD shocks which are sold on the trdsales.com website.

I also am looking to lower my car and the insurance company says i cannot lower it more than 30mm, so it looks like i will have to make do with some Lows.

Hey

ok well im new to this, but i am also trying to figure out what will do my corolla ascent good (which i have sitting on 18's chrome mizati wheels). I have a connection in japan who quoted AU$1100 for D1 Coilovers shipped, which will allow me to change stiffness and also ride height which would be good for insurance purposes etc. But not too sure if it will void new car warranty etc? and i hear it will ruin the ride of the car??

thanks alot

Edited by High_Rolla

if you dont want to spend the money on Koni's then you can also have your original struts revalved to suit whatever springs you want. Usually about $120-150ea to get it done at a good suspension shop if you take the struts to them.

if you dont want to spend the money on Koni's then you can also have your original struts revalved to suit whatever springs you want. Usually about $120-150ea to get it done at a good suspension shop if you take the struts to them.

Nah, i specifically want to replace the stock shocks, because they are garbage and at only 65000ks, on their way out. And i never said i don't want to spend much, i just dont want to spend 2.5k + for a set of decent coilovers. Whatever shocks will get the job done with the super low drop (50+mm), I am keen on. I don't think shocks get much more expensive than $1200 a set anyhows, but i could very well be wrong.

...when you get them revalved, they're done specifically to suit the springs you have got, so are better than the koni's etc which are not made specifically for your springs.

Nah, i specifically want to replace the stock shocks, because they are garbage and at only 65000ks, on their way out. And i never said i don't want to spend much, i just dont want to spend 2.5k + for a set of decent coilovers. Whatever shocks will get the job done with the super low drop (50+mm), I am keen on. I don't think shocks get much more expensive than $1200 a set anyhows, but i could very well be wrong.

let me know once u found some good shocks.. mines due too ;)