smoke from engine

074dean

Hi , while reversing my car into the garage I noticed a puff of smoke coming from engine bonnet. After opening bonnet I could definitely smell burning like oil. I took these pictures as I noticed oil here. The car is not over heating as temp is normal.

My Aurion does have more noticeably like whirring noise at start up and a my brother has noticed it has a little movement in steering wheel when breaking or accelerating.

The Aurion is a 2010 Touring 157,000 km and its still a tidy car.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

20220305_192800.jpg

20220305_192755.jpg

You need to investigate a bit further as to the source of the oil. Start by removing the engine cover which is hold on using 3 rubber grommets, so it comes off easily. Have a look around because it could potentially be a leak from the valve cover.

As for the slight movement in the steering wheel when braking or accelerating, I would be inspecting the intermediate steering shaft and lubricating it with some spray grease. There are posts in this Forum for that topic. I do remember one post where the solution was to replace the intermediate shaft steering bolts sourced from Toyota instead of replacing the whole assembly.

• Thanks 1

Thank you very much for your advice, much appreciated I will get onto it asap.

44 minutes ago, campbeam said:

You need to investigate a bit further as to the source of the oil. Start by removing the engine cover which is hold on using 3 rubber grommets, so it comes off easily. Have a look around because it could potentially be a leak from the valve cover.

As for the slight movement in the steering wheel when braking or accelerating, I would be inspecting the intermediate steering shaft and lubricating it with some spray grease. There are posts in this Forum for that topic. I do remember one post where the solution was to replace the intermediate shaft steering bolts sourced from Toyota instead of replacing the whole assembly.

Yesterday I smelt burning oil and could see smoke coming from under the bonnet. There was also oil underneath after I parked the car. Shopping trip was cut short. Jacked up the car and could see oil dripping down. Suspect that the rubber oil cooler hoses have sprung a leak. Now waiting for my 2006 Aurion to have this warranty repair done as an emergency job once parts arrive at the local dealer. Then I can start the return trip home to Brisbane from Wagga Wagga.