Rear Parcel shelf

DANZZT231

Last night I was quite bored so an instant idea of creating a rear parcel shelf came to my mind. So i went to design the template and it looks like the design will sit still with the help of velcro straps.

THis morning I went to Audio FX Camberwell and get the parcel shelf done and to be trimmed with carpet. I then went and bought decent 4' coaxial speaker 2-way by pioneer (anything i can find for cheap to be honest) from JB Hi-Fi and installed it.

Everything fits so well, I don't even need velcro as the parcel shelf I designed happened to be a very snug fit. It won't move.

So witht he rear speaker wired directly to the head unit, I finally get the ambiance I need for full cabin fidelity. Previously I was running front stage only, great for jazz (personally), but not quite enough for house music.

If I wish to turn off the rear speaker, all I have to do is turn of the intenral Amp from the head unit, which will shut off every signal except from RCA - this creates superior S.Q when its needed for jazz listening.

Heres the pic

Rear Parcel Shelf

That's nice Daniel mate. Never really thought about that. Looks quite nice man. Couple of questions though, why didn't you opt to go with 6x9's instead? SQ issues? And are you're stock rears still hooked up?

I'm eager to listen to your setup one day. Some of the best SQ setups on CAASQ day had Nakamichi units, nothing in a hatch though.

Thanks BigBum

Well I didn't want to use 6x9 because of its bassy nature. I just need something to give me ambiance staging from rear, to fill in the space behind. So that is why i choose the smallest i could get which is 4 inch. If the rear is too strong, your get this centred sound, while infact it should be at the front. Even with this little 4', the sound is still centred a bit, so i need to fade the sound to the front by +1.

Stock rear is pulled out since ancient time, it ruined the stagin. That's why I've been running front stage all this time. Rear speaker, i think, is mandatory to be installed on the parcel shelf.

Edited by Danz

I still have plenty of things to learn man :)

But yeah, you guys can make this for your car also if you want to install shelf speaker. If anyone wanna make one, just head down to audio fx camberwell, speak to Wes, Dave or Jon (the three stooges) - tell them u want Daniel's Parcel :P :P :P I left my template there for one of you guys who wants 1 (how nice am I?)

Edited by Danz

what did you do with the fabric that would normally be there?

does the normal shelf still lift up when you open the door?

you left the template at the shop? dammit i was going to ask for a copy. I'm guessing it just fits perfectly from c pillar to c pillar (its c right? i dunno) and squeezes up against the head rests?

It fits 100 percent - this is due to the addedd thickness of the carpet trim, without it, there's tiny gap around the edges. And yes the normal shelf still lift up when the boot is open.

The fabric still goes as normal, infact it is now under the speaker's magnet all the way to the head rest and clipped as normal - bolt on heaven. I should've put in some frame in the middle of the parcel shelf, for added ridigity as it is now flex if u touch it in the middle. Not that it mattes as it only serves as speaker mount. But I guess if u are to use bigger speaker, u WILL need some frame.

The parcel shelf was able to sit stay still without any support because the head rest touches the shelf and it holds it there, while on the other ends the shelf snug fit onto the frame. No room to move the son, sit still.