50,000km service performed

For Toyota Mechs or anyone, what is that "torque fluid" they filled into my gearbox? I know its a universal lubricant but do they add it on top of a transmission fluid or just that alone? I requested them to change my gearbox oil bcus my Redline oil couldn't be picked up in time, so they charged me $41 for OP4 - "drained and changed gearbox oil", the "torque fluid" itself cost $18 and i don't see any transmission oil listed under consumables.

Total cost was $237 for those interested, and i provided my own engine oil. They returned my oil bottle this time with only about 100-200mls left inside. Yet to check my dipstick but looks like they put a fair bit in.

One last thing is the "fuel treatment" and "engine flush". I never requested for that and i don't think its standard items in services, can anyone enlighten me on this? I have heard that "Engine flushes" or "Flushing oils" are NOT reccomended and should NEVER be performed because in the process of cleaning the engine the metal particles can lodge in the engines gaps and stuff up your clearances?

Cheers,

Zee

Edited by ZEEROLLA

I can answer one of your questions, in regard to your "fuel treatment" ... Toyota issued a press release late last year about their Jetstream injector cleaner (link below). A dealer quoted in the release said that they put a bottle in every car, every service. You dealer might be doing the same thing.

I would think, regardless of Toyota's claims for it, it should be asked of you if you want to have it or not, otherwise, to me anyway, it constitutes work that is not authorised by the customer. If you're concerned, then its worth asking the dealer about it.

Toyota Jetstream press release

Thanks man, thats what i thought and the fuel treatment and engine flush costs close to $100 so i will definitely bring it up with them next time. I don't remember ever having them performed on my car, they did try to convince me into it once over the phone but i flatly refused. Now they are just doing it without my knowledge. :angry:

Update on the service is that the car felt really nice to drive post service. I gave it a good 200kms and amazingly whatever they put into my gearbox it is now shifting smoother than ever before. My synchros seem to be working well now right from the word go. Might be all psychological or could have the very cool weather today played a role in the improved performance? Time will tell. ;)