Help in buying my 1st 4x4 Hilux Ute

Beechnsun

Hi all I'm totally new to 4x4s and I'm looking for a 4x4 Ute as I now live in the country which I require a 4x4, I currently own a lowered VS Commodore Ute and the Toyota Hilux X Cab is what I need, not a dual cab, I've found one that I'm considering but I don't know how these are in terms of performance and reliability. Below is what I know about the Hilux Ute for sale so I'll ask some questions but please throw pros and cons for me to consider

1996 Hilux Ute with 345,000 km on the clock
the tub has exterior panels not dropdown gates
Manual 5 speed 
Motor is a 22R Petrol 2.4L 4 cylinder
Its a SR5 Model
LSD rear
timing chain, valves, head replaced about 3,000km ago

I will not be using this Ute for 4x4ing I'm not experienced for that but I'll go once in a while up the mountains with small creaks and bumpy roads, and cutting and collecting firewood and for putting the occasional heavy item in the back, can 400-600kg be put in the back? I've heard these Hilux's are known for rolling over "Rollux's" but is that when people drive on 4x4 tracks or for roads?

I do a main drive once a fortnight for 90km and back (180km total) and I've heard the 22R gets about 15 litres to the 100km is this true not counting tyre type/size.

My VS Commodore Ute has just had its V6 motor reconditioned so I know its a good motor and will last a good amount of time so its hard for me to sell my VS Ute to buy another car not knowing if it will last, is there signs or things I should look out for when buying a Hilux like should I get one with fuel injection or with coil packs instead of a distributer and of course if you know of another type of 4x4 Ute that's good or better I'm all ears. My price range is up to $8,000.

Experience: have owned 4 hilux's with the 22R 2.4 engine from 1993 to 1996, then 1 from 2004 (2.7), 1 from 2007 (4.0) and now a 2022.

The 22R is a solid motor with timing chain, but a bit of a slug. Toyota also made that engine with a fuel injection setup, but they can be hard to find.  If you thrash it, you will have trouble with it. They like oil changes often, or they sludge up, and they can be thirsty. The car you're looking at does have high K's, but if the motor has been recently worked on, (can the seller prove this?) you should be OK. Check for worn synchros in the gearbox, by listening/feeling for grinds during gear changes.

Commodore V6 engine swaps are available. Don't over spec the tyres. Factory was 205 R 16, same size as 225/75R16. If you decide to put fat tyres on, keep it below 31 inches, so 31x10.5R15, or a 16"equivalent 265/70R16. Taller tyres are just going to make the engine work harder, and use more fuel.

You can get at least 750 kgs in the tub, but check your placard and books for your specific vehicle.