I viewed another new release YouTube Video by The Car Nut. Following a quick look at an item being displayed, I thought that it was something else than the power steering fluid reservoir. Interesting to find out that there is a filter screen within this reservoir and that it can get clogged.

What I had previously considered was that the additives in the fluid would break down over time and needed to be replaced. I had previously looked at YouTube videos about flushing the power steering system but was reluctant to disconnect the hoses from the fluid reservoir. What I have been doing is using a pump to extract most of the fluid in the reservoir then replace the fluid. I started doing this regularly and it is now part of my annual maintenance schedule.

After doing a quick Google search, it appears that the power steering fluid should be changed every 2 years or 50,000 miles [80,000 kms]

https://www.avondaletoyota.com/blog/2022/february/10/how-often-should-you-change-power-steering-fluid.htm

Following YouTube video highlights the wear on the power steering pump when the fluid is not changed regularly.

I will certainly have to reconsider what fluids I am using in the power steering fluid reservoir. I have previously used Dextron 3 ATF and been thinking about using synthetic ATF or specific power steering fluid for the next change.

After submitting the initial post, I decided to take my own advice so Saturday morning, I changed the fluid in the power steering reservoir. To be expected, the fluid was a darker colour than the new fluid and there was no sediment. This replaced approx. 200ml of fluid. After a short Sunday morning drive, I repeated the fluid change in the reservoir.

Follow up question in my mind was what is the fluid capacity of the power steering system. Answer for my vehicle appears to be 1.3 - 1.4 litres. Following link also details the procedure for a complete fluid flush/change. https://maslo-toyota.ru/en/change-power-steering-fluid-toyota-camry-40.html

Now considering when to do a follow up change of fluid in the power steering reservoir. Maybe next engine oil change.

I actually watched that video too Ash. Interesting about the filter mesh in the reservoir too. 

Luckily for me I don't have to worry about power steering maintenance as the 50 series Aurion use electric power assisted steering and not hydraulic. 😜 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Luckily for me I don't have to worry about power steering maintenance as the 50 series Aurion use electric power assisted steering and not hydraulic.

I also viewed some YouTube videos about a tear down of the electric power assisted steering. Certainly got greater faith in Toyota reliability.

19 hours ago, campbeam said:

I also viewed some YouTube videos about a tear down of the electric power assisted steering. Certainly got greater faith in Toyota reliability.

I've never looked into this myself to be honest. If I have time, I'll have a look and see what it's all about.

• 4 weeks later...

I did a follow up change of fluid in the reservoir on Saturday 11th September 2022. This time I did take some photos for reference purposes. Basically confirmed that next fluid change can be in 2 years time. Also due to age discoloration of the reservoir, colour of the new fluid appears to be darker.

1593402233_PSReservoirColour.thumb.JPG.c8878f62ec2a0a8578f31e6a24123d83.JPG 949413046_PSReservoirwithnewfluid.thumb.JPG.882003a5da01d057acdaf1e3008f989e.JPG1849952862_UsedvsNewFluid.thumb.JPG.eed2675ea827f380cc99fbd0b22a5f13.JPG1293091365_Fluidcolourcomparisononcloth(2).thumb.JPG.c4560604126025d58ea4276d225d26df.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Good work Ash. Haven't heard from you in a while. Hope everything's ok mate.

Did your reservoir have that strainer in it the Car care Nut spoke about ?

All is good. Not able to contribute to most of the recent posts.

I fully expect that there is a strainer in the supply line area of the reservoir. I used a plastic pump bottle to empty the reservoir. I did not see that strainer which would be located in the supply line connection area.

Now that you mention it, I could have used an inspection camera to view/confirm the condition of the strainer. I did not consider it at the time because I expected the strainer condition to be good as I have been regularly changing the power steering fluid. Also with the engine running, you can see the fluid circulating in the reservoir.