AURION ATX vs FALCON XR6 Owner Comparison

STEVES ATX

Hi everyone.

I am a VERY HAPPY owner of my first Aurion (& Toyota for that matter). A 2016 ATX with approx 50,000km (excuse the stock pic, but my car is a bit dirty atm & looks EXACTLY the same anyway).

Been almost 3 months now & gotta say, VERY HAPPY is probably bit of an understatement. Been a Ford man for last 25 years & traded my 2007 BF Falcon XR6 on the Aurion. It is not perfect, but no used car ever is. But what you get for the price, I cannot complain at all. Again, VERY HAPPY !

I had the Falcon for 10 years & was an awesome car. Bulletproof mechanicals, nice, simple & fun to drive. But getting to that stage where more & more things were starting to wear out & needing to be replaced - time for something a bit newer ! Did a bit of research before buying (including reading the forums here) & it all helped my decision. Thank you.

Just wanna make a bit of a comparison to my old Falcon. I have ALWAYS had 6 or 8 cyl RWD cars even since my first Datsun 240K, & hearing all the talk of "torque steer" & other FWD traits had me a bit concerned to begin with as I usually drive at a 'brisk' pace normally. Yes it has torque steer, yes it can tug at the steering wheel & yes the front wheels can struggle for grip when you floor it at the lights, but this is something you adapt to & I not found it concerning whatsoever. It is just the front wheels, not the back wheels. I find the Aurion handles just as well as the Falcon. In fact, IMO it seems very very similar to driving the Falcon in almost every way albeit smoother & more refined (given it is 9 years younger, it should be). Even the interior is virtually the same LOL - black cloth with silver highlights, similar switchgear etc. & I actually like the foot handbrake (same as the 1978 LTD I had). Drivetrain wise - it is lovely. PLENTY of power for my needs. It definately is not as torquey as the Ford I6, but the Aurion gearbox seems to make the most of the engines characteristics & realistically, there is very little difference. They are both as smooth as each other but when you do floor it in the Aurion, you can feel it, whereas the Ford I6 'feels' more relaxed in its power delivery.

Anyway, I got no real plans for it. Its got some seat covers, floor mats & rear parcel shelf cover just to protect it. I am pretty happy with it stock standard. I do know, from reading these forums, that I will need to stay on top of the oil changes, the Falcon I6 was very VERY forgiving in that regards !

Thanks for reading & if you guys have anything else you think I need to be aware of, please let us know.

S0000YQG.jpg

Edited by STEVES ATX
Incorrect title
  • Like 2

Quite worthwhile to read your comparison especially as you have always had 6 or 8 cyl RWD cars. My Oct. 2006 Aurion ATX is my 1st V6 and have mainly had 4cyl FWD car. Absolutely love the torque when overtaking on the highway.

Regular and preventative maintenance is the key. Normal logbook servicing is essentially the bare essentials to maintain the new car warranty for the initial 3-5 years.Best to service your vehicle on "severe driving" basis e.g. oil change interval every 6 months or 5-7,000 kms using a quality brand name full synthetic engine oil.

Consider changing the automatic transmission fluid {ATF} every 3 years or 70,000 kms. Also regular checks/changes of the coolant and power steering fluid. Instead of a complete coolant change/flush, I change the coolant in the overflow reservoir on an annual basis. I also do similar changes of the power steering fluid in the reservoir but on a more regular basis.