Melted Engine, where to now

G'Day All

Just the other day, finally found out for sure my thermostat didn't work. Melted the engine at less than 1/4 temp. Shoulda stopped when i heard the first noises but i was soooo close to home thought i'd check it then.... didn't quite make it. 600m short of home, the last big hill killed my car.

Anyway, it was a toyota corolla 83 CS. KE70, so 4K 1290 ML engine. Which is now dead.

Any ideas as to should i spend the time and money to buy another used engine then go ahead and put it in myself, with help of those in the family that can. And if so where is a good place around Brisbane or Sunshine Coast to get one, and what is a decent or normal price for that type of engine.

Or should i just go and buy another cheap'o car for around $500 then get the road worthy, and get new rego on top of that.

Still got Rego til 8/06 on mine, but going to be leaving the country in November anyway, so not out to spend a lot.

Any Help/Advice would be greatly appreciated

G'Day All

Just the other day, finally found out for sure my thermostat didn't work. Melted the engine at less than 1/4 temp. Shoulda stopped when i heard the first noises but i was soooo close to home thought i'd check it then.... didn't quite make it. 600m short of home, the last big hill killed my car.

Anyway, it was a toyota corolla 83 CS. KE70, so 4K 1290 ML engine. Which is now dead.

Any ideas as to should i spend the time and money to buy another used engine then go ahead and put it in myself, with help of those in the family that can. And if so where is a good place around Brisbane or Sunshine Coast to get one, and what is a decent or normal price for that type of engine.

Or should i just go and buy another cheap'o car for around $500 then get the road worthy, and get new rego on top of that.

Still got Rego til 8/06 on mine, but going to be leaving the country in November anyway, so not out to spend a lot.

Any Help/Advice would be greatly appreciated

AGE 20valve - supercharge it

or if you got money to throw into it (which by the sounds of it you dont) experiment with a 13B or something heheehe

post on www.rollaclub.com for another K motor, one of the guys there should have one.

Dont bother with a conversion, I doubt you want to spend $5-8K on the car.

AGE 20valve - supercharge it

or if you got money to throw into it (which by the sounds of it you dont) experiment with a 13B or something heheehe

Dude it's obviously he's daily driver lol.

I had a KE30 mate. That thing was excellent, even tho it ran on three cylinders and had water in the 4th pot haha. Look at the 1.3 KE30, 1.5 KE50 or another 1.7 KE70 man.

Guys,

I really don't think he wants anything jazzy. He'll have to get that engineered anyway. Too much trouble for him. Stick with the standard motors, 1.3, 1.5 or 1.7. Mine was dying and it still went for 3 years before I had the sportivo.

Thanks for the options so far guys... but yeah, i'm just looking for something basic at the moment.

If i were to change to a 1.5 or 1.7 would that go in just as easy as a 1.3, and also thinkin to change the gearbox to a 5spd while i'm at it. Should that be easy enough to rip out the old gear and get the new stuff in without to much buggerin' about.

By the looks of things at this stage, going to buy a 4k engine up the coast at caloundra for $250, pick that up on friday or saturday i hope since i'm going to be taking apart my car this Fri. That way i get to keep me lil ol car and still get use of the rego.

Thanks for all the help everyone, I've fixed my car up and it's running fine now.

Got my hands on a slightly older 4K 1290 engine $250

new clutch pad $25

had to get a new top hose for the radiator $10

some temp sender thingy for in the water pump i think $30

changed the oil and filter of course, so had a basic service and tune $27

and move a few bits and pieces from the old engine to the new(used) engine and things seem to be all fine and dandy now, seems to be running the best it has for ages.

All up about $342 for parts

Also fixed up the rubber on a rear door and new blind rivets into some aluminium thing on the rear door that was coming off

Thanks for all the help everyone, I've fixed my car up and it's running fine now.

Got my hands on a slightly older 4K 1290 engine $250

new clutch pad $25

had to get a new top hose for the radiator $10

some temp sender thingy for in the water pump i think $30

changed the oil and filter of course, so had a basic service and tune $27

and move a few bits and pieces from the old engine to the new(used) engine and things seem to be all fine and dandy now, seems to be running the best it has for ages.

All up about $342 for parts

Also fixed up the rubber on a rear door and new blind rivets into some aluminium thing on the rear door that was coming off

wow...basic service and tune $27???!!!!

I am just wondering how come the price of serving jump so much this few years?...i remember it used to be $49 to get oil change at Midas....and now? can't find anything under $100! My mechanic told me there's no money in minor service, and he has to raise the price soon...OH..come on, $120 for an oil change, and finish in half an hour, there's no money in it?....you're kidding!

where do you guys get your car service?

Hell we just took out an old engine and fooled around with gettin a new one in.... think we ended up deciding to do the basic service and tune by ourselves as well.... not sure though......

:blink:

You aren't sure? Well did ya do it or not! lol Nah that's a good job mate. Nice and cheap too.