Will l get a few more years out of my 2003 camry?

Hi l own a 2003 toyota camry since new, its done 330,000 l live in the country and do about 15,000 kms a year, always got it serviced on time its never broken down and never had any serious problems. l hope to keep it for another 3 years and another 50,000 kms. Do you think l will be able to get that much more out of it without anything serious or expensive going wrong ? l know you cannot give a definite answer, just a guess of the liklehood.

• Like 1

With servicing on time, I would expect nothing serious or expensive with the drive train i.e. engine and transmission.

Which of the following major parts are still original or have been replaced. If so, when? :

1. Struts - front and rear

2. Brake rotors - front and rear

3. Alternator

4. Starter motor

5. Radiator

Essentially with older vehicles, it is a case of driving them with regular maintenance until there is an uneconomical repair bill. 

• Like 1

Hi John yes a very difficult one to say yes or no on, as Ashley said it will always come down to what has been replaced over time and when. With regular servicing and care attention and love Toyota's can last 400,000 Plus but then it comes down to how you drive and good quality parts used when replacing. I do hope you get the mileage you are after and really I don't see why not mate.

KAA

hi just to update , l got it serviced today and they said the lower control arm rear bushing is cracked and needs to be replaced for $1,300 within a year , apart from that they said theres nothing seriosly wrong ,l cannot decide if l should get it repaired and keep the camry or sell it and get a newer car

I would guess that it is front passenger side control arm. Similarly we had a 1998 Toyota Camry owned since new. It would have been 2018 or so that a RWC was required to transfer registration within the family. RWC inspector had said that the vehicle was in great condition overall for its age but had failed because of the front control arm bushes and also worn bushes for the rear sway bar. I checked and there was definite movement in the front suspension due to these bushes being definitely broken. I replaced both control arms [complete assemblies; non-genuine] and fixed the rear sway bar bushes. Cost of parts was <$200. A few years later, I found out after the event this Camry was sold due to an oil leak. Not happy at the time but this son got himself a used BMW which he prefers and it is now his problem to keep it running.

There is a fair bit of time and effort involved and a wheel alignment would also be required.

$1300 estimate for this repair appears high so further details should be requested. "Nothing seriously wrong" is a pass mark for today. Remember your vehicle is now 20 years old

Previous partner was advised by her proven trustworthy mechanic to expect more repairs after 12 months for her later model Toyota Corona. That advice and previous rust repairs is what prompted us to trade in that vehicle on a demonstrator new vehicle.

End of the day, it is your decision. Choose wisely.

thanks yes at the last service they said " RHS lower control arm rear bushing is cracked recommended replacing" they said its safe to drive until the next service in october and it should be replaced then, they quoted $1300, yes someone else also said thats expensive. l think l will get a second quote from another mechanic. if l spend the money getting this repaired then l would hope it lasts another two years before something serious or expensive goes wrong