Is it worth the buy?

Cait

I’ve found a great condition 2001 Toyota Landcruiser GXL Prado 4x4 V6 Petrol 4speed automatic and I’m trying to determine if it’s worth the buy, it’s low $20,000 with less than 85,000kms!

This is my first 4x4 a dream I’ve been saving for so I want to be careful as I am limited on it’s cost. 

Fuel wise what could I be looking at travelling around town during the week and highways on the weekend?

I travel 400-600kms a week on average.

Is it worth buying a petrol? 

I want this car to last me another 10years which will make it a 30year old car by then. 

What common faults do they have? 

What could it be worth, is the buyer asking too much? 

Edited by Cait

Hey Caitlin. from what I'm seeing on carsales and the like, these Prado's are holding their values really well, even those with 300-400 + Kays on the ODO.

If this one you're looking at has original kays backed up with a service history then I would be inclined to pay around 20K for it. The better you can negotiate, the less you pay, of course. For the kays, It's barely run in. These vehicles were built like tanks and a proper old school tough and will last for generations.

Not many bad things to say about them, except just ensure it gets a thorough inspection. See if it's been off road and look for chassis damage scrapes and scratches. Even if it has low kays, it can still potentially had a hard early life.
Check service history and see if the correct maintenance items have been covered. Check for smooth gear shifts and how the vehicle rides over the bumps.
Be aware of any vibrations or steering issues.

Engine wise. they are pretty bullet proof too. The 3.4lt V6 is responsive and smooth and will last a very long time. Efficiency will be dictated by several factors. 
How well maintained it is and the mercy of your right foot. Average fuel consumption is around 14 lt/100Klms. So I suspect you'll fill it up once a week.
The diesel version is better at around 8 lt/100Klms. Some prefer diesel for the towing capacity and fuel efficiency, but are more costly to maintain. They also have excellent longevity, not to say the petrol engine doesn't. It's all relative to how you maintain it. 
If you change the oil on time within 7-10K intervals, the engine will last a very long time. I can't see why one couldn't do a million Klms if it were impeccably maintained, and don't worry, it will last another 30 years at least, not ten.

Good luck with it and I hope it all goes well for you.

Be sure to post back if you end up purchasing it.

Regards
Tony :thumbsup:

On 3/19/2023 at 9:07 AM, Cait said:

I’ve found a great condition 2001 Toyota Landcruiser GXL Prado 4x4 V6 Petrol 4speed automatic and I’m trying to determine if it’s worth the buy, it’s low $20,000 with less than 85,000kms!

This is my first 4x4 a dream I’ve been saving for so I want to be careful as I am limited on it’s cost. 

Fuel wise what could I be looking at travelling around town during the week and highways on the weekend?

I travel 400-600kms a week on average.

Is it worth buying a petrol? 

I want this car to last me another 10years which will make it a 30year old car by then. 

What common faults do they have? 

What could it be worth, is the buyer asking too much? 

Crack dash are a very common issue with those, you can cover it with dashmats

Thirsty but like Tony suggested very bulletproof when service regularly, you might want to do a major service or at least get a experienced mechanic to do a pre-purchase inspection or whatever the car so you can start budgeting for replacement parts. At that age it's not the mileage but seals etc will deteriorate and need replacing.

Worth asking if the 4x4 had any accidents before etc to make sure you know what to look for eg. insurance repairs vs backyard