dodgy tyre?

Saturday.

Driving along M4 Motorway, 110KPH, was driving for about 10mins and car felt normal then it just pulled to the left something shocking and smoke was pouring out of the left hand side... dodging other motorists (thank ***) jumped out to see the the inner wall of the tyre completely gone, guards full of rubber........

wonder why?

Tyres were fairly new (6/1/06) Silverstone 215 40's.$145 each. cheap ****. but cheap **** should deffinately be a DANGEROUS characteristic of the tyre. Maybe just faulty?

Took it to the tyre place, simply said sorry cant help u out there, u can buy a new one on monday though...

just wondering what cud have cause it? if its possibly due to "cheap" and "nasty" i wont buy cheap again.... too friggan dangerous..

Image095.jpg

Image094.jpg

Image093.jpg

Image092.jpg

Image091.jpg

Image090.jpg

Edited by 03MikeSportivo

Sounds like a puncture. Low profile tyres don't like being driven on flat and even for a short distance you can do damage. Because the sidewall is so small it has very little flex(unlike say a 60 series tyre) so it heats up quickly and then starts to get a distinct wear line on the side wall. If heats up enough it begins to crack then ultimately it just tears the sidewall completely out of the tyre. That sounds like what has happened :D

Sounds like a puncture. Low profile tyres don't like being driven on flat and even for a short distance you can do damage. Because the sidewall is so small it has very little flex(unlike say a 60 series tyre) so it heats up quickly and then starts to get a distinct wear line on the side wall. If heats up enough it begins to crack then ultimately it just tears the sidewall completely out of the tyre. That sounds like what has happened :D

= cheap tyre ..

lucky no other damage done to you or the car.

make sure you replace with a decent tyre, then later change ALL to decent tyres

I see your point, but the tyre was deffinately not flat as i set off. and highway driving i deffinately would of felt it pull to the left....

probably just didnt notice... oh well.

I still believe it might also due to cheap tyres.

cheers.

i had my left rear tyre do the same thing once.. but not as bad as yours, my cut was abt 10cm wide and i basically felt the car "losing power" first then it was pulling left. Mine is a $200 tyre Yokohama C.drive and the blown tyre was only couple of months old. i had a puncture hole and the tyre started to leak and as the tyre deflates the rim cuts into the sidewall and over a distace the cut just gets bigger and up to a point it dis-integrates. I think thats what happened to yours.

Edited by ZEEROLLA

Actually, having another think about it, I DON'T think its due to 'dodgy' tyre, but possibly a puncture whilst you were driving as the others have mentioned here.

We have standards here in Australia and I really doubt that you would have bought a tyre that was defected from the factory. However, if it was a re-thread, maybe. But not an Ozzy Standards Aprroved tyre.

cheers guys,

i thought it must have been a puncture or something but just the fact i didnt notice it until **** hit the fan....... it was 540am prolly bit too tired to notice..

aww well, got a new one on.. another cheapy.....see how it goes!