Replace or Not the Toyota Automatic Transmission Filter

campbeam

The question has previously been raised in posts particularly for changing the ATF of the U660E transmission fitted to the Aurion.

Toyota refers to this part as a strainer. Personally, I have replaced the original filter with an OEM one but did kept this part. This part has what appears to be a paper element.

However, I recall the part for my previous 1998 Toyota Camry having a metallic element similar to a stainless steel scourer.

Transmission filter information is at the 18:36 interval of the following YouTube video by The Car Nut.

Personally, I have been thinking of placing some additional magnets on the sidewalls of the transmission pan.

In my experience Ash, I would be inclined to NOT replace the internal strainer if it's clean.
I believe it's there to filter out any ferrous or non ferrous material. The friction material from the bands, I tend to think not, as this remains in suspension with the fluid.

After my last fluid flush, I replaced my Original strainer with a paper element type too and so next time I take the pan off, I'm putting the Original one back. Upon inspection, it appeared to be quite clean with no foreign material in side it.

The drain pan magnet essentially mopped up any ferrous material from the break in period and no other contamination was present.

54 minutes ago, Tony Prodigy said:

In my experience Ash, I would be inclined to NOT replace the internal strainer if it's clean.
I believe it's there to filter out any ferrous or non ferrous material. The friction material from the bands, I tend to think not, as this remains in suspension with the fluid.

After my last fluid flush, I replaced my Original strainer with a paper element type too and so next time I take the pan off, I'm putting the Original one back. Upon inspection, it appeared to be quite clean with no foreign material in side it.

The drain pan magnet essentially mopped up any ferrous material from the break in period and no other contamination was present.

My experience is the same. However our experience is with the U660E transmission admittedly in different series of the Aurion.

Next time that I remove the transmission pan it will be to give it a wipedown and clean the internal magnets.

Interested to read the experiences of other members with other transmission models.

The Car Nut just released the following YouTube video where he answered the main questions about auto transmission servicing.

If you service your transmission before it becomes overdue then you do not need to replace the transmission filter. As mentioned in the video, different matter if something has gone wrong then the filter should/needs to be replaced.