Corolla Ascent 2000. The clock and radio setting

Hi,

The clock and radio channel setting on the  Radio Cassette tape player disappears and has to be reset every time the engine is turned off and the key is removed from the car. It happens even with a new car battery. Just wondering what is the problem ? Does the radio cassette tape player have an internal battery or capacitor to hold the setting ?

On 4/7/2023 at 4:43 PM, Avalon1 said:

Hi,

The clock and radio channel setting on the  Radio Cassette tape player disappears and has to be reset every time the engine is turned off and the key is removed from the car. It happens even with a new car battery. Just wondering what is the problem ? Does the radio cassette tape player have an internal battery or capacitor to hold the setting ?

I suspect your battery is on the way out mate. If there is a blown fuse, it might be the constant 12v power supply. If all your fuses check ok, then I'd start looking at the battery condition and potentially your alternator.

Your Central Body Control Modules (BCMs)  needs a certain level of power to operate all the systems and with a battery that's boarder line some accessory functions will behave normally and some won't. In this case your radio's clock.

If the battery checks ok, then I'd be looking at the BCM.

Fuses are checked and all good. Battery installed in 8/2022. Constant 12v and switched 12v  to radio cassette tape player as designed. Removed the player, opened the cover but could not find the  internal backup battery. The circuit holding time and radio channel setting may not be working properly.

6 hours ago, Avalon1 said:

Removed the player, opened the cover but could not find the  internal backup battery. The circuit holding time and radio channel setting may not be working properly.

The head unit doesn't have a back up battery. The juice is delivered via the body control module. I would dare say that the BCM has a dodgy relay that's not making when the vehicle is switched off. I have no idea where your module is situated in the Avalon. Perhaps the Avalon people can chime in.

15 hours ago, Avalon1 said:

Tony, the car is Corolla 2000 (not Avalon).

Haha, yes it is. I glanced over to your profile minutely and saw "Avalon".

The same would apply for Corolla nonetheless.

Hope I was able to help in the meantime..