RAV4 2018 AWD - warning AWD System Malfunction

Jasper246

I have had this warning come up for about a month.  AWD System Malfunction 2WD Mode Engaged.  Prior to this i noticed that automatic was losing power when accelerating on hills.  Took to mechanic and then auto electrician.  Had auto transmission oil changed and also solonoid as that was the error coming up.   Auto seems fine now bu warning still on all the time.  Mechanic is stumped and says the computer needs to reset itself.  Any suggestions????

• 1 month later...

Assume it's out of warranty. Nevertheless, assuming it's not got too many Ks, say 160 plus, then you should approach Toyota for replacement under Australian Consumer Law.

Of course, Toyota may still fob you off because they know you'll have to go to a lawyer and that's going to cost you money. That said, if the trans is gonna cost 8k plus then paying a solicitor a grand for a consultation and a letter from them to Toyota reminding Toyota of their obligations under ACL might be good value for money.

Good luck. I'm about to have a fight over a leather steering wheel that's peeling on 3yo RAV.

5 hours ago, GOM1952 said:

Assume it's out of warranty. Nevertheless, assuming it's not got too many Ks, say 160 plus, then you should approach Toyota for replacement under Australian Consumer Law.

Of course, Toyota may still fob you off because they know you'll have to go to a lawyer and that's going to cost you money. That said, if the trans is gonna cost 8k plus then paying a solicitor a grand for a consultation and a letter from them to Toyota reminding Toyota of their obligations under ACL might be good value for money.

Good luck. I'm about to have a fight over a leather steering wheel that's peeling on 3yo RAV.

Thank you for your reply. I’m only at 98k and the last few years lived in city and driven only fortnightly. Should I book at Toyota for diagnosis and see what comes up? Let them know about mechanic diagnosis or just see what they come up with. I trust the mechanic but can’t just fork out money I don’t have.

Good idea to get Toyota diagnosis before doing anything else. They will probably charge you for the diagnosis.

If you think you might have a case under ACL then you should take that up with them.

It's important though that your vehicle must have been serviced on time every time. Hopefully you'll have records to back that up if its been serviced by an independent mechanic.

• 2 months later...

Have had the Toyota diagnosis - replace solenoid. Told them I have already done that they had no further solution than replace transmission. Told me to take to auto centre they don’t do solenoid but can replace transmission. Back to auto centre, now want to replace valve body before while transmission. All service history on time and logged. Auto centre very helpful and trying to save me $$$. Toyota big thumbs down and I will take this further with ACL. The ongoing 7 months saga continues - next step end of Jan due to Xmas holidays 🙄

• 4 weeks later...

If your 2018 Toyota RAV4 is showing an "AWD System Malfunction" warning, here are some steps you can take:

• Check for additional warning lights.
  • Consult the owner's manual.
  • Inspect AWD fluid levels.
  • Attempt a system reset.
  • Scan for diagnostic trouble codes.
  • Consider professional inspection.
  • Check warranty coverage.

Prompt attention to the AWD System Malfunction warning is important for the proper functioning of your vehicle, especially in adverse driving conditions. Seek professional assistance if needed.

Read more about:  2018 Toyota RAV4 AWD System Malfunction

• 3 weeks later...

If the warning light is still on normally this means that the repair was not addressed as supposed. You could try to get scan tool yourself and clear the code everytime it comes up but not the best way to go. Do you know what is the actual fault code? 

• 2 weeks later...

The fault code came up with replace solenoid on inspection at mechanic, automatic centre and toyota.  The Automatic Centre has now inspected further and there are metal chips in the transmission.  I havne't been driving it but basically now have to replace the whole transmission.  Such poor quality from Toyota, i expected better on a 5yr old car with 100,000km.  I guess all new makes of cars are of poor quality parts from China.