Brake Pad

vitagen

Since no one has posted yet. Its pretty easy to change pads, I havn't done it on this car though. The pics are for an over haul, but you only need to go as far as getting the shims and etc out.

frontbrakepad.jpg

rearbrakepad.jpg

EDIT: There is no real need to drain the brake fluid. Just be careful since when you push the pad back into the caliper it may cause the brake fluid resevour to be overfull. Plus it is easy to bleed the brake system anyway, don't know why people think it is hard.

The front pads can be changed easily by undoing the top bolt and swinging the caliper forwards. I haven't bothered looking at the rears closely yet.

Edited by SuperDave

• 4 months later...

This picture is misleading for newbies like myself

because if you just want to change the brake pads all you do is undo the bottom 14mm bolt and flip up the housing from the caliper, and put your pads in.

However to push the piston back to accomodate the extra room is very hard, use force but don't hammer it back.

If you drain your fluid you have to bleed all 4 brakes

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
hey if you were going to remove the calipers for painting, do u need to bleed the brakes? and this is gonna sound really really n00b but how DO you bleed the brakes?

sorry - complete and utter n00bie here

cheers,

wings

Remove the hose that goes into the calipar. The fluid will then "bleed" :P

Just guessing since Superduper said its easy .................

:D

• 2 weeks later...

Removing the hose is one of the slowest forms of bleeding. My method is to use 2 people. 1 manning the brake pedal, the other manning the calliper. You'll need a 10mm ring spanner (for the rear bleed valves) and a 8mm ring spanner (for the front bleed valves) as well as a container that holds at least what a bottle of brake fluid holds and a hose that will fit over the bleed valve barb. And don't forget rags.

1. Start by having the car completely off the ground on chassis stands with all wheels removed.

2. Go to the rear passenger side brake calliper; put the hose over the bleed valve. Have the person on the brake pedal push on it firmly, not He-man levels of force. Then once (s)he has done that, loosen the bleed valve. Once the brake pedal gets to the firewall tighten the bleed valve. Then the brake pedal can be released and no air will get sucked back in. What ever method of telling each other what stage the other is at is up to you.

3. Do that until you can see the new brake fluid coming through. If not then do it enough times to satisfy yourself that the new fluid is through. CAUTION: Be sure to keep an eye on the reservoir level. If it goes empty then you have to start again until the air is out of the brake lines. As you move closer to the master cylinder less repetitions of the brake pedal are required as there is less fluid between the master cylinder and the calliper.

4. Move to the next brake calliper when that is done. The next one is the rear driver's side. Followed by the front passenger side, then the front driver's side. The reason for this pattern is to start from the further most calliper from the master cylinder and work your way to the closest.

5. And you should be done. If I'm doing it with my brother or dad we can have it done in about 10 minutes. First time will take a while. Alternatively you could fit one man bleed valves, if so I strongly recommend Earl's for quality.

Everyone has their own method, thats mine and it works for me.

• 1 year later...
Hey i was wondering how easy it was to change brake pads?? could anyone post a DIY?

Cheers!

To be honest if your not shure don't try and do it your self take it to a good work shop.Brakes are to important to be playing around with! I mean this in a nice way as well.

Hey i was wondering how easy it was to change brake pads?? could anyone post a DIY?

Cheers!

To be honest if your not shure don't try and do it your self take it to a good work shop.Brakes are to important to be playing around with! I mean this in a nice way as well.

lol he probably went through 3 sets of pads already, it was 3 years ago...