COROLLA 2000 - front wheels did not lift when jacking up

Hi. 

Just replaced 2 front shock absorbers with REPCO RAS 3115 and 3225 (Gas type absorbers) by auto mechanic.

Jacking up the car as usual but the wheels did not lift off ground.

Any problem or did I not jack up high enough ? Does the strut assembly lifts up the wheels ?

Thanks.

Need to lift higher.  What type of jack are you using, and whereabouts are you lifting from?

11 hours ago, Hiro said:

Need to lift higher.  What type of jack are you using, and whereabouts are you lifting from?

I used scissor jack between the 2 notches along the under car body side (close to the front wheel). I was not sure whether keeping jacking up will damage the car.

I tried with the rear wheel and the rear wheel lifted up normally without jacking up to much.

If you're using the standard scissor jack on the correct spot on the sill pinch-weld (between the two notches, like you said) then there's no danger of damaging the car.  I've had to jack up cars with a scissor jack almost until the jack has locked out just to get the wheels off the ground (and it's important to know you can do this, in case you're stuck by the side of the road with a flat tyre and nothing else)

Also, I assume the strut part numbers are actually RSA3115 and RSA3215, as RSA3225 appears to be for the next generation

Thanks Hiro for your advice that boosted my confidence.

I added a brick under the jack and jacked it up. The wheel lifted off the ground this time.

Also, you are correct the part number is 3215.

Thanks again.

Sorry to be nasty, but bricks under jacks or to support the car, are extremely dangerous, as they can crumble leaving the jack / car without any support, so it drops, suddenly.

There are many daisies coming up, from people who found this out the hard way. Use timber blocks, like 4x4 short post lengths.

Herb

• Like 1

On 1/9/2024 at 11:43 AM, Avalon1 said:

I added a brick under the jack and jacked it up.

That's a good option to help keep the scissor from topping out and becoming less stable. But not bricks as Herb mentioned. A nice bit of 4 x 4 solid timber is preferable. I keep several odd pieces of timber for events like this.

Edited by Tony Prodigy

Thank you all for the advices.

Besides the solid brick I also used another scissor jack on the concrete floor( next to the jack on the brick) to provide additional support just in case.

1 hour ago, Avalon1 said:

Thank you all for the advices.

Besides the solid brick I also used another scissor jack on the concrete floor( next to the jack on the brick) to provide additional support just in case.

Invest in a trolley jack and leave the scissor jack in the boot for your roadside emergencies.

If you're working from home, I would definitely recommend a trolley jack and axle stands. Very cheap these days. Get either a 2T or 3T jack for ease of use. You will thank yourself.

• Like 1