2017 Camry RZ Quite Jarring Ride. swap to SL shocks instead?

niceride

Hey Camry masters!

I've had this RZ for over a year now and do about 800kms per week in it so I'm looking for more comfort.

The ride is a bit jarring and I've test driven some SL's and they all feel more "limo like" in smoothness ... which is appreciated.

My maybe crazy idea would be to get a set of SL shocks of the same year and swap them in for better ride comfort.

Is that even possible? Are there any Camry mechanics that can tell me that they are all the same config just different ride comfort levels and the swap is a good idea?

Alternately... is it time to just trade it for a car already built for comfort?

I even bought thick sheepskin seat covers to no avail.

All help and answers appreciated.

Cheers

Cj

Wheels/tyres can make a big difference too, the RZs run 18s whereas the SLs are only 17s (which for the same overall diameter means more tyre sidewall for a softer ride).

• Like 1

Hi Hiro, thanks for that suggestion. I was thinking the same. I wonder if 16" will feel even better again and if they have the clearance needed for the brakes etc?

The 2017 Camry Altise is fitted with 16" wheels, according to Redbook. I do not know about clearance for the brake calipers.

If the brake calipers are the same across all 2017 Camry models, then you should be okay. Best to go to a tyre shop or wreckers and confirm that a 16" wheel will fit.

https://www.redbook.com.au/cars/details/2017-toyota-camry-altise-auto/SPOT-ITM-456798?Cr=11

53 minutes ago, campbeam said:

The 2017 Camry Altise is fitted with 16" wheels, according to Redbook. I do not know about clearance for the brake calipers.

If the brake calipers are the same across all 2017 Camry models, then you should be okay. Best to go to a tyre shop or wreckers and confirm that a 16" wheel will fit.

https://www.redbook.com.au/cars/details/2017-toyota-camry-altise-auto/SPOT-ITM-456798?Cr=11

Thanks Campbeam, great advice. I'll ask a local tyre shop.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2024 at 8:49 AM, niceride said:

Hey Camry masters!

I've had this RZ for over a year now and do about 800kms per week in it so I'm looking for more comfort.

The ride is a bit jarring and I've test driven some SL's and they all feel more "limo like" in smoothness ... which is appreciated.

My maybe crazy idea would be to get a set of SL shocks of the same year and swap them in for better ride comfort.

Is that even possible? Are there any Camry mechanics that can tell me that they are all the same config just different ride comfort levels and the swap is a good idea?

Alternately... is it time to just trade it for a car already built for comfort?

I even bought thick sheepskin seat covers to no avail.

All help and answers appreciated.

Cheers

Cj

I've had my RZ Camry since new (2017)

The "jarring ride" is due to this car having a "sports suspension"

This is part of the difference between the RZ and say the base model.

So whilst the turning circle is unchanged compared to the other Camry's and is still not great compared to say a Subaru Liberty of the same production period, it "hugs" the road better then other Camry's (of the same year model)

So it feels "less boaty", and more stable on the highway, especially at the higher speeds.... or so "I've heard" 😂

The SL is a completely different car, the last of the Australian built Camry's were in 2017,

They then "changed shape" a.k.a completely new car in 2017/2018 and these were built in Japan

The "SL" is part of the "new range" that is built in Japan

Changing tyres / having them inflated to the "correct" pressure may help, but on the whole and I'm not sure how else to put it....... but that's the "traits" of the car that you purchased.

As an aside, please ensure that you have been doing the "in-between" oil changes and using a full synthetic oil 🙂 

So depending on your budget, it may be time to change "rides", which if this is the case, check what your car is "going for" to see if trade in value or selling the car privately is the best option.

I hope that this helps 🙂

39 minutes ago, Novicebutnice said:

I've had my RZ Camry since new (2017)

The "jarring ride" is due to this car having a "sports suspension"

This is part of the difference between the RZ and say the base model.

So whilst the turning circle is unchanged compared to the other Camry's and is still not great compared to say a Subaru Liberty of the same production period, it "hugs" the road better then other Camry's (of the same year model)

So it feels "less boaty", and more stable on the highway, especially at the higher speeds.... or so "I've heard" 😂

The SL is a completely different car, the last of the Australian built Camry's were in 2017,

They then "changed shape" a.k.a completely new car in 2017/2018 and these were built in Japan

Changing tyres / having them inflated to the "correct" pressure may help, but on the whole and I'm not sure how else to put it....... but that's the "traits" of the car that you purchased.

As an aside, please ensure that you have been doing the "in-between" oil changes and using a full synthetic oil 🙂 

So depending on your budget, it may be time to change "rides", which if this is the case, check what your car is "going for" to see if trade in value or selling the car privately is the best option.

I hope that this helps 🙂

That makes a stack of sense to me. A year before I got the RZ I tried a 2018 SL and it was so smooth. I now wish I bought it!

I'll be trying out a few of the camry models now and avoiding all "sports" at all costs.

Thanks for the detail.

Cheers!

I'm willing to bet my late 2016 Aurion Sportivo has the exact same strut so I know what you're talking about. It's a brittle ride quality specially engineered by brand T techs who couldn't be stuffed doing a proper job 😏

Fine on smooth surfaces but not so on the rough stuff. Good thing I spend most of my life on a fwy.

You should be able to swap out the struts to the alternative spec being the usual soft ride but im not certain on your car. KYB website will tell you though or a Toyota dealer.

Smaller wheels & higher profile tyres will help but will it be enough? Ideally change both but won't be cheap.

Edited by ZZT86
  • Like 1

On 2/23/2024 at 9:16 PM, niceride said:

That makes a stack of sense to me. A year before I got the RZ I tried a 2018 SL and it was so smooth. I now wish I bought it!

I'll be trying out a few of the camry models now and avoiding all "sports" at all costs.

Thanks for the detail.

Cheers!

As much as I do love my 2017 RZ Camry,

If I would have had the money for the "New range of Camry's" I would have gone one of the new ones.... Only because to me they looked a bit sharper... plus it's a brand new model 🙂

But I can't complain, especially since when I bought the car they had a deal of 0% finance 🙂

• Like 1

On 2/23/2024 at 8:35 PM, Novicebutnice said:

Depends on your definition, there was an Atara SL in the XV50 series that was built in Australia (XV50 so same generation as the RZ), the Atara name was dropped when they moved to the Jap-sourced XV70 series in late 2017.

Posted (edited)

thanks to everyone that replied to this topic.

I decided it made more sense to go to another vehicle entirely rather than attempt to push a square peg into a round hole.

If you are after a Camry RZ 2017 then mines up on carsales right now.

Edited by niceride

17 hours ago, niceride said:

thanks to everyone that replied to this topic.

I decided it made more sense to go to another vehicle entirely rather than attempt to push a square peg into a round hole.

If you are after a Camry RZ 2017 then mines up on carsales right now.

Good thinking. I am sure that there are buyers seeking the Camry RZ in preference to the standard Camry.

Let us know how things go with the sale after it is all completed. Interested to know whether the used car market is still in high demand.

• Like 1