Hi, a new owner of a 2004 RAV4. 5 door manual cruiser. Just trying to get my head around a few things.
A. Meaning of aca23r

B. I think I have a Series 2. Are some parts interchangeable, dash aircon vents, front bumper.sun visors. Rear tail gate door.

Not very mechanically minded. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Pete.

A = model code of vehicle (Toyota speak)

B = maybe - good chance if they look the same. wrecker is your friend.

On 7/15/2024 at 10:29 PM, Sonicrendezvous said:

Hi, a new owner of a 2004 RAV4. 5 door manual cruiser. Just trying to get my head around a few things.
A. Meaning of aca23r

Model code, made up of engine code, chassis code, generation number, spec number, and hand.

Traditionally, the engine and chassis codes were one letter each, however around the 80s and 90s Toyota started adding in two letter versions, but the model code only took up to three letters so if the engine and chassis code were both two letters, then they would be combined.  Your Rav4 has a 2.4L 2AZFE engine (in which the AZ is the engine code), and the Rav4 chassis code is XA, so the Z and X combine to make a C (otherwise it would be AZXA23R).  This is the second-gen Rav4, so the generation number is 2 (not that this isn't always a direct correlation, Toyota do skip numbers in the code and sometimes even re-start after a major change to the chassis).  It's a 5-door, so the spec number is 3 (the 3-door is 2, the pre-facelift ones with the 2.0L 1AZFE were 1 and 0 respectively).  And finally, it's right-hand drive, so R for Right.