Help - Blowing white smoke

Mark1204

Hi, I have a Toyota Kluger 2013 and its blowing white smoke. In the beginning it was just a bit especially when you started the car but it has increased now while im driving to.  I have taken it to a mechanic and he says the valve stem seals need to be replaced.  Has anyone had this happen before and is there any other options I can try to fix it? If there is no other option but to replace the valve stem seals, does anyone know of anyone in Perth WA that could quote to fix it?  

Search on this Forum or do a Google Search with the search term of white smoke on startup or similar. It is definitely NOT valve stem seals for the Toyota 2GR_FE engine.

The white smoke is due to oil vapors being drawn into the intake manifold. The PCV valve needs to be cleaned/replaced as a starting point. You can also try to desludge the engine and an oil change using a quality known brand synthetic oil and a new filter cartridge.

Most likely there is significant oil sludge build up in the front valve cover. A definite proven solution is that the cover needs to be removed and thoroughly cleaned.

Also go back to the proven old school approach of regular oil change intervals of 5000 kms/6 months.

• 1 month later...

Ok so you were right there was a fair bit of oil sludge build up in the valve cover. The cover was removed thoroughly cleaned, the oil changed then a desludging additive put through and then the oil changed again.  The oil looked allot cleaner at the end.   Unfortunately I am still getting white smoke on start up.   Do i need to leave it a while and will the smoke eventually go away or is it time to replace the PCV valve now or would anyone know if there is something else I need to do now?   Any help would be appreciated.

Hi,

Not a Kluger guru, but white smoke has always meant water / coolant getting into the combustion chambers, it's steam. Oil burns with a bluish smoke. If the sludge in the valve cover was a whiteish colour then that is also a sign of water, in the oil.

Herb

1 hour ago, ozieagle said:

Hi,

Not a Kluger guru, but white smoke has always meant water / coolant getting into the combustion chambers, it's steam. Oil burns with a bluish smoke. If the sludge in the valve cover was a whiteish colour then that is also a sign of water, in the oil.

Herb

KLuger and the Aurion both are fitted with the 2GR-FE engine. Specific engines have specific issues. White smoke particularly on start up for the 2GR-FE engine is commonly due to oil vapour being sucked into the intake via the Positive Crankcase Ventilation [PCV] valve. The PCV valve needs to be checked and cleaned or replaced, as required.

The 2GR-FE engine is also highly susceptible to oil sludge build up especially in the valve covers when not properly maintained with regular oil changes using quality engine oil. The known solution is to remove the front valve cover and give it a thorough clean to remove the oil sludge build up particularly the area relating to PCV. This enables the oil to drain away more efficiently and effectively to reduce being drawn into the PCV valve.

7 hours ago, Mark1204 said:

Ok so you were right there was a fair bit of oil sludge build up in the valve cover. The cover was removed thoroughly cleaned, the oil changed then a desludging additive put through and then the oil changed again.  The oil looked allot cleaner at the end.   Unfortunately I am still getting white smoke on start up.   Do i need to leave it a while and will the smoke eventually go away or is it time to replace the PCV valve now or would anyone know if there is something else I need to do now?   Any help would be appreciated.

I have previously cleaned the PCV valve a number of times and eventually I ended up replacing it. Something else to do is to clean the vacuum hose between the PCV valve and the intake.