NSW RTA Loopholes?

Hey

Is there anyway that someone on there P's in NSW are able to drive a turbo powered car??

My friend is 17 on his Red P's and is looking to get his hands on a 1994 Lancer GSR, but with the new laws about high powered cars, is there anyway around this

Thanks guys

The whole point of the new laws is to keep P platers from driving high powered cars around like idiots....

so i hope there isnt any loop holes..

because many P platers have frustrated me with the way they drive....

im happy with these laws..

your friend is an idiot if he wants to drive a turbocharged car this young, no offence intended. tell him to go learn how to drive before he gets a highpowered car

Yer i know, it is way to powerful for a young driver, but i think that P Platers have a tarnished record due to several stereo types that drive around like idiots. There are 1000's of P platers and not all of them are dicks on the road. I know that there are P platers that go around like idiots for the fun of it, but people have to remember that not all P platers wants to be the next peter brock. But the rules are in place for a reason, and i was a bit wtf when he said thats what he wanted. To go from an astra to that is a pretty dumb step

I know that this is a toyota forum, but give some advice on what cars would be a good start, that are not just bricks. He has about 15,000 to spend, prob wrong forum, but hey, give some sugestions to save this guys life!!!!!

I love honda's but you get hit hard when you need parts.

Tell him to look at AE92/93/94 etc Corolla Twin Cam's and Civic's still (not forgetting the two door lift back Civic, they're hot...sooooo many aftermarket projector and tailights etc for them too, and performance parts). They can be tuned nicely. Nothing a set of 17's and a kit can't fix for looks. Plus they have aftermarket ricey lights etc for it as well.

Driving experience is needed before a turbocharged car. They are very very different. Reliability also. If something goes in it $$$. Does he have the money to afford insurance, maintenance and more importantly the parts themselves? Mistubishi are 'fairly' reliable but their parts are expensive. Toyota? Hey...they're exxy, but you can get most parts quick. Plus an old Twin Cam is going to be easier to maintain over a period of time than an old GSR that may have already been thrashed to high heaven.

i think the laws are on the right track, but they are pretty stupid...

it should be power to weight ratio... not just turbo, supercharged and performance V6 and V8s... the turbo rule means a P plater can't even drive one of those turbo smart cars :blink:

its true that the image of every P plater has been ruined by those few who are morons on the road... i keep my driving sensible, and im a P-plater... sure i'd love to be the next peter brock (maybe not him, but some sort of motor racing legend :P), but im not going to practise on the streets...

it annoys me that you old farts just stereotype P platers...

anyway.... i do agree that your mate shouldnt be looking at getting a GSR... its just too much power! tell him to get a simple car (like a corolla, or civic or something), and if he really wants the power, he can spend some money doing it up... i'd rather turn 100kw into 120kw and watch the process and feel like ive contributed to it, than just buy some crazy high powered turbo car and have nowhere to go with it...

buy a corolla!!!

In all honesty guys "It's not being a P-plater that makes you an idiot behind the wheel of a car...It's the idiot behind the wheel of the car that is the idiot"......We have all been a P-plater and i bet we have all done something stupid in a car at one stage or another but hey thats what growing up is all about!!! Making mistakes and learning by them but including a car into the factor and it can end up in tragedy as well all know!! <_< I'm sure there are some P-platers out their that would be responsible and drive a high-powered car in the correct way but as if that happens!! :D :lol:

To answer the question at hand: If your mate can prove that this EVO is the only car that the family has then he can get away with it.... Or if he can prove that he must drive this type of vehicles for his work be it a mechanic or something else to that matter he can only drive a high-performance vehicle during the trading hours of that company and NO later.... HOpe ThatHelps you a bit!!!!

your mate can prove that this EVO is the only car that the family has then he can get away with it

pretty sure this only works if the car was owned before the laws came in, if you got a turbo after the laws came in it was just tough luck....

Hahaha this is a great topic.

I'm still a red P-plater but I've had my licence for almost 2 years! In ACT I think you have to have them for 3, but after 6 months you can do this "P-off" course (it's all theory) after you pay the govt some more money and they let you take them off. So yeah I'll be gettin off my ***** to do that at some stage.

I've done a defensive/advanced driver training course at Rick Bates' place with micky_tee and we discovered that, apart from the fun on the skidpan, the only thing that they really teach you is a good state of mind and a safe approach to driving. The actual "skills" like braking etc should have been taught by your driving instructor or Dad!

But yeah being young doesn't make you more of an idiot. Sure there are some times when we all want to feel like we're unbreakable and pump our ego's up by hitting lift in 4 gears straight (for those who have the means) but that's what's called being male. Also there are some people regardless of age or gender who just hoon around no matter what scenario: carpark, school zone, service station driveway etc. People in general are just a big variable.