Toyota/Prodrive deal for TRD

Prodrive. Shiney.

They couldn't do anything in the V8 Supercar championship, but that's kind of below the belt as homegrown knowledge is usually the only thing that will win you races. Prodrive aint from here.

Management of a performance division though? WOW! Look what they did to Ford!

eg:

F6 Typhoon - 270kw @ 550nm of torque!!! :o

Isnt FPR still affiliated with prodrive?

Jason Bright had some good pace at the last V8 meet, he won the 2nd race from memory. Dont forget they are new to the category, it takes any team at least 2 yrs to get results, its all about data in that category, and if you have none, you have nothing at all. They now have a few sessions at each track on the computer, watch this space, and Im not even a ford fan.

Good to see toyota keeping the cardigan on, and leaving the performance to those who know what they are doing. I was waiting to see who would be running the show. Prodrive have the runs on the board.

Oh yeah they still are mate, sorry.

It's just, they claimed so much when they came in lmao. Didn't really deliver.

How funny would it be if Toyota actually do win rights to race in the V8 Supercar Championship sometime in the future. Who know's, they may release a Lexus Quad Cam powered V8 Aurion or something lol.

Not goot odds though. I agree with you on the 'cardigan' thing too haha.

How funny would it be if Toyota actually do win rights to race in the V8 Supercar Championship sometime in the future. Who know's, they may release a Lexus Quad Cam powered V8 Aurion or something lol.

It would be awesome to see Toyota in the category, problem is that AVESCO is not going to let it happen.

Whats worse is that if they were to let toyota in, they would have to be running a Motor (and the rest of the car) identical to the Ford/Holden package. 90 degree V8 with pushrods, no OHC etc etc etc. Over the past few years, parity has basically made the two cars identical. Same suspension setup, same engine configuration, same aero package etc etc.

JC

I think we all need to calm down a bit...

PRODRIVE are a UK based company involved with all levels of motorsport. Associated teams are...

Subaru WRC

FPR - V8Supercar team

and PRODRIVE F1 to begin taking part in F1 from 2008

this deal could mean anything from them wanting to help out team TRD in Australia now Subaru no longer have a factory team, so no conflict of interest, to them looking at taking over the technical side of Toyota F! as has be rumoured in the passed that Toyota would like to reduce their expendature, but still be an engine supplier for the team.

Prodrive was also associated with BAR (Honda) in their early days of F1.

V8 Supercars are small fry to them.

It would be awesome to see Toyota in the category, problem is that AVESCO is not going to let it happen.

Whats worse is that if they were to let toyota in, they would have to be running a Motor (and the rest of the car) identical to the Ford/Holden package. 90 degree V8 with pushrods, no OHC etc etc etc. Over the past few years, parity has basically made the two cars identical. Same suspension setup, same engine configuration, same aero package etc etc.

JC

I know! Last time I checked I think it was 2 differences only.

1) Ford motors - 620bhpp, Holden motors - 600bhp

2) Ford Discs - 16in, Holden 17in I think??

In relation to the engines, you will never know exactly what HP they have, thats something that is very well guarded. Have you seen the way the mech's all crowd around when the bonnet is open?

If your talking brake discs with the other bit, I doubt it, V8 Supercars all run 17" rims, making it impossible to run brakes that big.

Blue_stivo, I know exactly what your saying about small fry in relation to the actual cost, but your never going to convince me that they arent putting as much effort as is necessary into being a top team in V8 supercar, they wouldn't be there otherwise.

Im leaning toward the TRD/Prodrive F1 involvement more than anything else. I think your spot on with that.

Anyway, we are off topic, good to see that TRD is going to be backed by a company that knows what its doing in the performance dept. Bring on the turbocharged Toyotas. . . .

In relation to the engines, you will never know exactly what HP they have, thats something that is very well guarded. Have you seen the way the mech's all crowd around when the bonnet is open?

If your talking brake discs with the other bit, I doubt it, V8 Supercars all run 17" rims, making it impossible to run brakes that big.

Blue_stivo, I know exactly what your saying about small fry in relation to the actual cost, but your never going to convince me that they arent putting as much effort as is necessary into being a top team in V8 supercar, they wouldn't be there otherwise.

Im leaning toward the TRD/Prodrive F1 involvement more than anything else. I think your spot on with that.

Anyway, we are off topic, good to see that TRD is going to be backed by a company that knows what its doing in the performance dept. Bring on the turbocharged Toyotas. . . .

My godfather used to tune a some of the other ones. I know that back when the Xerox sponsored car (a wayward back of the pack guy haha) my godfather was tuning it.

Those results though were out of V8 supercar magazine believe it or not. They enlightened on the differences between the two camps and that's what they were. 15in discs for the ford and 16in for the holden then I guess? I had the weird impression they were running 18in now. I dunno why :S.

I know that they were the main differences though. Not much huh.

Oopsies, we kinda hijacked this thread JC (most of it my fault) haha. Back on track. This could be good. The TRD Aurion is sounding mighty fine. The new corolla chassis is so ugly though. Makes me think what Prodrive will do when developing a TRD corolla, and what powerplant to use (super 2000 inspired I guess)

Edited by bADbOYz

Some interesting points there, but I thought I'd have my 2 cents worth, anyhow!

Firstly, the article gives me the idea that, at a corporate level, anyway, that Prodrive are doing with Toyota what they've done with Ford, except for the V8 team. i.e. Toyota would supply the cars to be tuned to become TRD vehicles, just like Ford sends Falcons over to become FPV's. There's no mention of anything outside Australia, much less F1. Besides, Prodrive are coming back into F1 in '08 with their own team, details of engine supplier TBA.

In regards to V8Supercar, the governing body actually do want Toyota, and any other interested company, to join in as long as they meet the regs ... its Ford and Holden who chuck hissy fits from time-to-time, not wanting other kids to play in their sandpit.

Ford and Holden created the rules, they have developed suitable cars and engines, they have all the name drivers contracted, they have the fan base all tied up ... they should dare other companies to have a go, rather than act like spoilt brats.

Who cares about V8, F1 and WRC....

If there is a chance that this means that I can make my next car purchase from the Toyota showroom with a possibility of it being tuned up a little, bring it on......

If there is a chance that this means that I can make my next car purchase from the Toyota showroom with a possibility of it being tuned up a little, bring it on......

I care because to some people Heritage means a lot. That's just me though.

Good call, Me too. :)

Good call, Me too. :)

;)

I get tingles up my spine when I watch Ueo in the D1 championship with his AE86. Inspires me.