gearbox whine rattle

in the mornings when my car is cold my gearbox doesnt whine or rattle but as soon as my car warms up u can hear the whine coming from the gearbox, i was thinking if a thicker gear oil will help say 80w/90 atm im using a castrol vmx75w/85 oil would this help if i used a thicker gearbox oil?

does the noise go away when you engage the clutch?

yeh the noise is gone when i engage the clutch, its weird because it doesnt make the whine when the car is cold...which im thinking the oil must be thicker to stop the noise and once the oil thins out u can hear the whine from the gearbox.

is there anything i can do besides rebuilding the gearbox?

do your oil first mate

use redline mt-90

u need a little more than 2 quarts if they do a full flush!

i gave toyota more than 2 quarts when i wanted them to do my sportivo box but, they ended up giving me back one bottle almost full =S

do your oil first mate

use redline mt-90

u need a little more than 2 quarts if they do a full flush!

i gave toyota more than 2 quarts when i wanted them to do my sportivo box but, they ended up giving me back one bottle almost full =S

how much does 2 quarts cost and where can u get it from? would a 80w/90 gear oil be bad for our gear boxes? im thinking a thicker oil will reduce the whine or even hopefully make it go away

not sure if synthetic comes in 80w/90

ownt really matter because when it warms up its the same thickness as a 75-90?

umm a quart should be about the 25 buck mark? you should be able to get it from coventrys? autopro? these are wa stores i think, however u can try autobahn if ur over east?

does the noise go away when you engage the clutch?

yeh the noise is gone when i engage the clutch, its weird because it doesnt make the whine when the car is cold...which im thinking the oil must be thicker to stop the noise and once the oil thins out u can hear the whine from the gearbox.

is there anything i can do besides rebuilding the gearbox?

Could be the throw out bearing.

yep, I'd guess throwout bearing if the noise is gone when the clutch is pushed in.

If you're cruising where you can hear the noise and you press the clutch pedal in, does the noise stop?

Doe it have a noise when sitting idling at the lights with the clutch out and box in neutral?

Hi there

I had the exact problem, the box whine when driving. Stop whining when I depress the clutch pedal. Took it to toyota and they re-grease my clutch bearings.

I hope that helps :)

really? whats involved in regreasing ur clutch bearings? yeh the noise disappears when the clutch in engaged when cruising, the noise isnt heard when idling. i drove the car on car stands and i couldnt hear the whine

• 2 weeks later...

yep, I'd guess throwout bearing if the noise is gone when the clutch is pushed in.

If you're cruising where you can hear the noise and you press the clutch pedal in, does the noise stop?

Doe it have a noise when sitting idling at the lights with the clutch out and box in neutral?

Had this problem with my car before, which Toyota refused to accept as a problem. It almost sounded like a diesel car with the clutch out and box in neutral at the lights.

• 3 weeks later...

hey guys

im experiencing this prob wid my gearbox, now im gettin my gearbox oil changed but i dont think that will help the prob as much, only because ive been told that the prob occurs from giving it a hard time.

okay now my question is; is this nething of toyota's manufacturing, poor quality and workmanship.

if so is it under warrenty? i know this sound stupid in the sense that we drive it hard but wats the point of bringing a car out wid high revv range??? hmmm......

ne1 shed light and experience would b appreciated

thanks kym