HID Headlights

Andrew

Hi All,

I would like to upgrade the headlights in the landcruiser 100 to HID's

My preference would be to get them fitted professionally, can anyone

recommend anyone who is fitting them, and/or anything to watch out for.

Thanks, Andrew

• 10 months later...
Hi All,

Thanks, Andrew

Mate, aftermarket HIDs are illegal in Australia doesn't matter which state you are in. The design law states that any car fitted with HID lights must have a headlight washer, headlight leveler as well as projector lenses (For a sharp cutoff at the top of the beam). The cops aren't so hard at the moment, but i can see it changing in the future when people starts to complain about all the glares that causes blinding to oncoming traffics...

• 3 months later...
Hi All,

Thanks, Andrew

Mate, aftermarket HIDs are illegal in Australia doesn't matter which state you are in. The design law states that any car fitted with HID lights must have a headlight washer, headlight leveler as well as projector lenses (For a sharp cutoff at the top of the beam). The cops aren't so hard at the moment, but i can see it changing in the future when people starts to complain about all the glares that causes blinding to oncoming traffics...

All true except for the projector Lense bit (recommended but not compulsory my XT Forester is proof of that with angled reflectors & HID'S STD ) Have been using after market HIDs for over 3 years now never going back to Halogans unless forced on the Toyota which should have come with them.

if you going to use it for off road, then I say go for it! but please DON'T do it when you're gonna use the car for driving everyday! (if you can get the lexus projector headlights, then GO FOR IT SON!)

go to any professional electrician and they will say that it's illegal to put it on. but just for your info the labour cost starts $60/hr.. :)

Have seen some of the conversion from halogen and actually makes it less bright. Xenon, when it does well, meant to have beam that travels longer.

I have Xenon stock from Mazda for my RX-8. And one of the mate got caught because he changes the bulb to 10000K..... they will only notice the super blue xenons, same as the super blue halogens... they are noticeable illegal stuff

It is true that the new car has to come with washers before it is getting sold, but what about people have xenon and change it to aftermarket body kits?

It does not need washer to keep the RWC.... don't think.

Anyhow you can still keep all the ballast wiring and pop the halogen back in when you go for a car check :spiteful:

I am sure cops do not have a list of cars that do not have Xenon comes standard. I mean, if you are keeping the xenon bulb to 5000K *(OEM colour), I will VERY doubt they will check if it is not manufactured by Toyota, especially if you can have put a fade badge on it... :spiteful: You can even fool a Toyota 2nd hand car sales person. :yahoo:

Edited by takahashi

Have seen some of the conversion from halogen and actually makes it less bright. Xenon, when it does well, meant to have beam that travels longer.

I have Xenon stock from Mazda for my RX-8. And one of the mate got caught because he changes the bulb to 10000K..... they will only notice the super blue xenons, same as the super blue halogens... they are noticeable illegal stuff

It is true that the new car has to come with washers before it is getting sold, but what about people have xenon and change it to aftermarket body kits?

It does not need washer to keep the RWC.... don't think.

Anyhow you can still keep all the ballast wiring and pop the halogen back in when you go for a car check :spiteful:

I am sure cops do not have a list of cars that do not have Xenon comes standard. I mean, if you are keeping the xenon bulb to 5000K *(OEM colour), I will VERY doubt they will check if it is not manufactured by Toyota, especially if you can have put a fade badge on it... :spiteful: You can even fool a Toyota 2nd hand car sales person. :yahoo:

:D i like what u just said xD

• 2 months later...

Not sure where you would get reliable HID's now Ive had mine for over 3 years now and not going back to candle power Halogen ever

All I can say is the new Kluger is bugger to aim the new lights compared to Subaru, Nissan and holden

The picture upload does not work?

First Picture One HID in the second All HID's in What a difference!

Edited by PC XT

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

just wondering if anyone has any tips. got a new rav4 and the headlights it comes with aren't very good.

i'm not looking for anything really fully on, but just something to improve night driving, and be legal.

has anyone got any suggestions? it comes with h11 type globes.

thanks,

jacki.

• 8 months later...

Hi Jacki :)

If you are still on this forum, I suggest going to a repco or supercheap auto or any other auto store and looking for Narva Plus or Philips Crystal vision or Crystal Vision Ultra Lamps. They are legal, will fit into your current car and are more economical to buy, They light up more of the road, look brighter and do not offend other drivers like cheap HID kits.

Hope this helps.

just wondering if anyone has any tips. got a new rav4 and the headlights it comes with aren't very good.

i'm not looking for anything really fully on, but just something to improve night driving, and be legal.

has anyone got any suggestions? it comes with h11 type globes.

thanks,

jacki.

• 3 months later...

I too am very unimpressed with the low beam performance on the RAV4. I've tried the Osram Night breaker (marketed as 80-90% brighter) and there was a slight improvement (but definitely not 80-90% improvement). The thing with these "high performance" halogen bulbs is their relative shorter lifespan compared to standard bulbs. Both mine blew after about a year of usage. I've just put back the stock bulbs for now.

Combining low beams and fogs go a fair way at improving the lighting performance in the RAV (something that's not usually the case in other cars), but it is now illegal to use the fogs in most states unless in bad weather condition. I don't really understand the point of this law... as most factory fitted fogs are aimed properly and cause hardly anymore glare than the low beams. It's the aftermarket fogs that tend to cause trouble for other drivers.

HID conversion kits are also illegal but I'm really tempted to try it out one day. Or otherwise, i'll definitely shop for factory xenons in my next car...