SV21 2.0 auto - hard brake pedal

vio

I have Camry SV21 91 2.0 auto and the brake pedal is very hard - it is almost impossible to lock wheels with it on dry road. I changed all brake pads and bleeded it, but it still very hard. Booster seems to be OK, pedal goes down when I start the engine. What could be the problem? Or maybe all these old camrys (SV21) have hard brakes?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey guys, I've got the same car, and bought it only a few months ago (nice white 91 full service history always garaged, only 176K when I got it).... I test drove quite a few of the buggers (from the 1988 model to this one) and all of the breaks were noticably stiffer than on anything else i've driven..... I wondered why.... after some research and helpful mechanic friends here's why: these older camrys were originally fitted with aespestos.. um aoespestos.. um aspestos.. i can't spell this (sorry about the spelling - I mean that stuff also imfamously used in construction which has led to a lot of old timers getting lung diseases etc).. anyway they had aespestos brake pads (or however you spell it) - most of these cars will have been by now fitted with the standard metal ones due to the health issue regarding use of aespestos... and yeah metal is much firmer than that stuff - so yeah that's why.

My solution to not getting a sore ankle - use two feet on the brake when stopped at lights etc :D

They're "brakes" , "breaks" is what you get when the "brakes" don't work and the other stuff is called "asbestos".......

Also, it is quite normal for the brake pedal to go down slightly after starting the engine and the booster kicks in..