brake noises in sportivo

mickeyg

I booked in my 5K service, and explained to the service guy the noise. His reply was that because the car is rolling forward most of the time, the pads create a groove in the forward direction, however when rolling backwards the disc is rubbing against the groove and it makes that noise.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i was told by the dealer NOT to use synthetic until after 10,000km service.

*shrugs* :huh::blink:

bugger if i know why...probably some technical thing with running in or something :ph34r:

I read the same thing in Zoom, quoted as advice from an oil manufacturer (Fuchs if i remember correctly.. or some other amusing name).

Since the oil people would normally be keen to sell expensive synthetics, I'm guessing they're telling the truth.

I checked my oil at 5000km, but it still looked new, so I didn't bother changing it.

- Matthew

The service sticker on my windscreen says the next service is due at "5000k or 10000k" I dont think a 5000k service is necessary and it will only line the dealers pockets with my money, so unless someone can tell me why the car needs to be serviced at 5000k the next time my car goes back to Toyota will be at 10000k.

Any one still getting brake noises? Originally the Celica had this tiny shuddering noise when braking in the forward direction at extremely low speed (ie parking lot braking). Dealer said it was nothing, but Repco identified it as "brake pads do not seat in the brake properly" - confirmed later by a US TSB. Anyway this noise has gone now (after 50K kms on the same set of pads).

Now, after 70K kms, the Celica has the exact same early wet morning reverse low speed braking noise with clutch in! Curious to see how you all fix it. Is deglazing all that's necessary?

well it doesnt look like the deglazing worked, its been about a month since the service where had the deglazing and i got my first brake noise again today.

hopefully its just a one off but its probably not,

and if it does come back again i'm gonna make sure that toyota fix it properly this time even if it means putting new brakes, expensive pads or even larger rims.

i'm starting to get a bit annoyed about it considering they have already "fixed" it twice.

so if your dealer says that deglazing will fix the brake noise tell them off for me

I really hate it when there is a problem and Toyota services says it is a common thing or we have fixs it and its not, they seem to either fog it off or dont know what they're doing :angry: , i know for sure my last car never had any of this problem. When i take my friends for a spin in the cstivo, they can hear the brakes in reverse and vibrating noise from dash or keyhole, they ask is this a second hand or new car or have i abuse the thing!!! :( , Man iam tired of bringing it back to toyota, each time it is a 4 to 5hour wait for some stupid brakes noise, i just have to put up with it for a while now.

OK after all that bitching i still love my Cstivo :)

magicmayhem: if i were and had so many probs..i'd already be hating my car...

i really hope mine is okay when i get it and that it won't have any probs....i hope.

Are the brakes the same in the Sportivo as in any other Corolla?

Because if they are then they would make the same noise right? I havent heard of any of the other corollas making that noise. So i guess they must not be the same brakes

I have had the brakes deglazed twice and the noise comes back fixes it for a short time then comes back. As far as I know they use different brakes in the Sportivo than the Corolla. I had the current shape Corolla (Asscent) and it never made the noise.

The brakes on the stivo are not the same as on the other corolla's. They are more of a performance brake. A friend of mine who use to own a workshop and did a lot of performance brake packages (expensive stuff like tar-ox) has told me this is a common problem with performance brakes. If the pads are not matched right to the rest of the system that noise occurs.

They would have a lot of people come back to them after replacing pads on a break set-up done by them earlier complaing of the same noise. When they put the brand originally used for the set-up back on the squeel went away!

He has suggested that maybe the Pads are wrong for the set-up and were a compromised solution for their brake & rotor wear, price & stopping ability. He suggested that I should try a better brand (which means better compound). This will hopefully eliminate the noise, and the car will brake better. The downside is higher rotor wear & tear.

His other advice to stop the noise was to cane the **** out of the stivo. His words "Brake hard, Brake late & make them glow" which I have done lately and while I was doing it over I did not hear the noise.

I drove with the wife the last 5 days (slow & carefull) and the noise came back. I am now going to flog it again and see what happens :D :D :D

Imagine Toyota coming back with the fix "Drive the car harder" :blink:

when u brake normally and that, u cause the bracks to glaze up. when u flog it and brake hard it removes the glaze and the noise goes away...

also with the diff compunds i recoment getting kevlar, the metal compunds destroy ur disks!

ebc is a good kevlar brand.

flogging it is one thing, but isnt it true that if u regularly work the brakes hard and then soft again, especially if the brakes is not designed for this pattern of wear and tear, that it can end up becoming glassy and scratch teh **** out of your disks etc..

btw the celica has the same break squeal, and rattles too

i know u guys dont agree with me here, but i have just come to accept these flaws because i still like the car....and at the end of the day if I were in any real position where these flaws really made me hate my car, then i would surely get rid of it and never buy it again..

Dont flame me for that comment, its just my 0.02c, ive experienced the same dramas u guys have and i still have them, but ffs guys you have such and awesome car on your hands....drive hard and enjoy it :lol:

bendix make good performace brakes, the only thing is they will put alot more wear and tear on though?

I'm with you sharmz

I have some of these niggling problems, but I just don't care about them that much. I just get out there and enjoy the engine... that's why I purchased the car in the first place.

Windows down, Cd's in, Stereo blaring & engine reving... it just does not get better than that!

how and when do the brake noises appear?

i wanna try it out on my car to see if i've got the brake problem. <_<

I heard it for the first time the other day, just a slight whine from the back wheels as I reversed. Can't say it bothers me.... I spend most of my time going forward after all..

I'm with sharmz/Ilivfor6. Overall these complaints are extremely small when you compare them to the known issues you get in something like a Falcon. I don't think any production car leaves the factory without *some* issues, it's just a matter of what people will accept. Consider the sort of rating system they'd use on known issues:

1. Critical - Will affect safety of passengers

2. Severe - Will affect engine or other component longevity, may affect safety

3. Bad - Might affect longevity of components, does not affect safety

4. Annoying - Will make annoying noises / do annoying things, does not affect longevity

5. Trivial - Would be nice to fix, but no one is likely to complain

Nothing is worse than sev4 on that scale, and only 2-3 issues even rate that. Wish all things were that good :)

just 2 giv u guys my 2 cents worth. I had that noise and now its just gone so unless your killing your brakes or wateva it should eventually go away unless its royally screwed :blink:

yeah i'm not that fussed with the noises, its just a bit annoying that everything is soooo good on the car and i really enjoy driving it, so much so that most of the time i dont have the stereo on to listen to the engine, but then you get in reverse and you get this annoying beep beep beep beep and then this horrible screetch.

but hey, i'll just get toyota to keep on fixing it for free every time i go in for service, or maybe i'll just start going in every two months. i'm sure eventually they'll get tired of me hassling them and decide to figure out a proper solution that will fix everything properly.

i dont think they will like having to replace my brake pads or deglaze the discs every 2 months. it will fun ****** them off a bit.