brake upgrades

i want to put twin piston callipars on my runx z, i just want to know if it's eva been done and wat had to be done to make it work properly.

i want a fast rolla (love beating up on em honda boyz) but it has to have good braking just the same, gi me early replys please. :unsure:

dont know what gen marks calipers are, just that they're GT4... grabbed them from a mates pile of toyota calipers intending to use different discs and an adapter bracket, but the calipers bolted straight on without and need for modificaiton.

had a guy on Toymods link me to this, which is a good reference of what calipers are from where...

http://www.target-earth.net/brakes.html?meid=87

not sure what the initial reference car they are talking about is but the measurements are useful :)

does anyone know what the piston areas for the respective corolla calipers are?

get your hands dirty and go find something....

Toyota has twin piston calipers to work on 275x25mm discs... I have a set in the shed being fitted to our new car on the weekend.

get your hands dirty and go find something....

Toyota has twin piston calipers to work on 275x25mm discs... I have a set in the shed being fitted to our new car on the weekend.

That's exactly what I was thinking, the ST165/ST185 Hybrid ones look like they may fit with some modification.

What are the ones that you have JP?

AE101 Levin Superstrut calipers:

http://www.rollamods.com/holding/shane/seca3.jpg

There's twin piston calipers on a lot of import toyota's... basically all the superstrut models have twin piston calipers (AE101, AE111, celica etc), SW20 turbo, etc etc.

Importers usually have a shelf full of extremely dirty calipers covered in mixture of brake dust/grease/dirt/rust/brake fluid... measure up the stock calipers, and go to the importers to find a suitable match. The get the calipers sandblasted and rebuilt, and you're good to go.

you have the calipers so TRY IT.

If they bolt up fine, they will be very effective. MAP81's car brakes much better than the other ZZE's with single piston calipers, and he's not even running a top spec pad or slotted discs.

NSW ppl correct me if i am wrong but if you perform a brake upgrade such as this (i.e. the calipers) will you not need to get yourself an engineering certificate ? or is that only needed if your going to try and run larger rotors ?

Only for larger rotors as far as I'm aware.

I've been informed that a few people on Toymods have done the single to twin conversion on ST162, ST182 celicas fo not much noticable gain. I'm going to do the discs/pads and fluid and reasses once the pads wear out a bit if the single to double comversion would be worthwhile. (gives me plenty of time to shop in the meantime).

If you can find some for a reasonable price a ST205 disc and 4-pistion caliper conversion would be VERY worthwhile. (would require engineering)

Edited by Blue_Stivo

NSW ppl correct me if i am wrong but if you perform a brake upgrade such as this (i.e. the calipers) will you not need to get yourself an engineering certificate ? or is that only needed if your going to try and run larger rotors ?

In VIC you need an engineering certificate for any modification that was not offered on your model from factory. I presume it would be similar in other states of Austrlalia.

I am having trouble convincing the local guy that the Sportivo didnt come with 6-pot AP racing Calipers and 330ml discs.

Even if you put any caliper other than standard you will need an engineerig certificate.

That said, you will only need to produce the certificate if you need a full roadworthy and in VIC its only when selling the car or you get a Yellow Canary sticker from the cops.