Alarm Advice???

Recently bought a Starlet turbo, it has no alarm at the moment and being in the area that im in, i really need an alarm. Can anyone reccomend a good one? my mate got a ' Mongoose ' alarm installed the other day, are these decent? My price range is probably under $500

Thanks guys!

the brand of alarm doesn't really matter as long as it meets australian standards and your insurers requirments.

The most important thing is the installation. An average installation (1 day job done by most reputable shops) is not going to be the best. A rushed installation can easily turn the best alarm into an annoying POS.

I recommend the Jaycar shadow immobiliser with alarm add-on pack... totals to $150 + install. I can't really recommend any installers, as all the jobs I've seen done by shops have left much to be desired. There's currently no stock of the Shadow immobilisers in Aus (apart from two in Townsville) as they're being updated to include another immobilisation point etc. eta is late sept according to a mate at Electus.

I've installed eight shadow immobilisers over the past 6 years into my various cars, the only problem I've had with any of them is the rechargable battery in the siren wearing out due to age, and the replaceable battery in the keyfobs going flat (easy fix).

When the alarm is installed, get cut points put on the EFI main relay, the circuit opening relay and fuel pump relay as a minimum. I usually dont bother putting a cut on the starter feed, when the car is immobilised the engine can crank, but will never start without fuel, injectors, ignitor, ECU etc.

Hi buddy,

I recommend the VIPER 571. None-one get close to it! Save you money and get a "good" alarm, not a "cheap" and "nasty" one. The viper will prob send u back 700 or so, add on 150 fitting though. Check out Viper.com, and you'll see what I mean mate!

Edited by Black Magic 05