Levin Gears?

HI guys, today I drove a standard 02 Levin (manual) today and it seemed a lot slower than my old 03 Ascent. They both had 17's but standard in every other way. It seemed like it was labouring a bit and when in 5th it felt like you were in 4th and needed to change up but you were in 5th already. My Ascent seemed faster and smoother and didn't rev as hard when cruising.

What could that be? Did the Levin have different ratio's or something? I wouldn't have thought so but that is what it feels like.

Any ideas?

PS what stud set up are Corollas? 4 stud or 5? What offset or numbers are they. Cheers

My 05 levin seemed alright.

Corolla 4 stud

PCD 4/100

I'm no expert, but possibly give it an ECU reset (search it, it's covered here somewhere). As these problems may be relating to how the previous owner drove the car (and hence how the ECU adapted). I hope I've helped :)

Hhmmm...

How many K's were on the odometer of both cars?

I've driven four 1ZZ 'rollas in my time. My Conquest, our Levin, and Ascents in both manual and auto. Speaking about the manual ones, they all felt like completely different cars in terms of clutch feel, ease of shifting and various noises. The Levin with less than 40,000k's on the odo had a clutch that felt like, well, nothing. It was just... straight in and straight out, really easy and really off-putting - the gears slide in with no fuss though. My car and the Ascent, with 90-100,000k's on the odo both have firmer clutches that require a fair push to get them in, but its a lot easier to feel exactly where you are. Also the gearboxes felt notchier, as if there were two "clicks" per shift as opposed to one in the newer Levin.

Also if you're doing 80-100km/h, it feels like you need to change up because the 1ZZ Corollas are hovering at about 3,000RPM at those speeds in 5th gear - quite "buzzy" and noisy.

Anyways have fun with your new car, whatever it is :)

It felt like a real slug and harsh compared to my Ascent. I noticed it by the first corner and I wasn't driving hard just normally. I also notice the Levin box was more clicky to than the Ascent as in 2 clicks to 1.

Both had around 50k

Edited by Scotty Tav

Many things come into play here.

something minor might be wrong with the levin.

The SA / JAP factor is a possible factor too.

Just remember mate no 2 cars will be the same!

I know 2 cars are never the same but this just was instantly noticable. It was as obvious as my ascent felt like a normal 5 speed and the Levin like the box was a 5speed box with the gears set back a notch. I mean like 5 feels like 4th, 4th like 3rd etc. Does that make sense?

Would resetting the ECU fix that? Is it possible that the original owner ptted around so badly that the ECU has learnt do drive that badly?

Guest JDM y0 !

sorry if offtopic.are the new "levin" a sports model ? my old ae86 is a levin so i was wondering. thanks guys.

Edited by JDM y0 !

sorry if offtopic.are the new "levin" a sports model ? my old ae86 is a levin so i was wondering. thanks guys.

It's just a higher end model with more features cosmetic and safety wise. Performance wise, still the same with the same engine. Check out the Australia toyota website for more details I guess.

The Sportivo model has the Celica engine and other different bits and pieces, although they aren't made anymore.

I have an november 02 levin 1zz and i have th esecond fastes quarter mile time on the forum. It all depends on things like petrol, how the car was driven previously. spark plugs type of oil. TOo many things that can vary and affect the way a car dirves. Alsom if the gearbox has been crunched heaps it will change the way it feels.

I have an november 02 levin 1zz and i have th esecond fastes quarter mile time on the forum. It all depends on things like petrol, how the car was driven previously. spark plugs type of oil. TOo many things that can vary and affect the way a car dirves. Alsom if the gearbox has been crunched heaps it will change the way it feels.

Dude where have you been hiding???????

Haven't posted for a while

My 02 Levin seems to drive fine and can 'get up and gooooo' when required (running 17's and stock suspension). The cruise to Killcare yesterday proved that coming back through the twisties on the Ol' Pac Hwy - yeeeeah baby.

Back to topic....bought it when it had 30K on the clock - now with 65K and 9 months later, it can feel a little less reponsive as it gets closer to service time. With and service, oil change, filters etc etc and she's all Xmas again.

I reckon do an ECU reset, get it fully serviced and give it some boot. Like Syxxpac says, theres heaps that can effect how it runs. If stil crappy feel, get it checked out by a good mechanic.

Good luck with it.