V-power

i run shell v-power in my car..i rate it as a pretty good fuel, first time i put it in i could definitely feel the difference, and my car also sounded a little louder with the stock exhaust :)

one problem i have right now is that the 2 shells closest to me in my area have had the "not in use" tag on al the v-power pumps for bout 2 weeks now...WTF IS GOING ON SHELL

ye the station i go to as well had "not in use" didnt matter i dont use it

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this fuel is the v-power racing 100% octane "apprently" its not more power its just increased throttle response and sensitvity. But not filling up on that again prob the only good batch of shell fuel i have ever had!!! run vortex 98 plus octane boost, good combo ;) om1potent would know he uses it on the dyno all the time :P :lol:

Octane is not expressed as a percentage. An Octane number is a measure of the fuels resistance to flash detonation...or, in otherwords, its compressability.

and 100 octane isn't where it stops....real race fuels run up around the 120 octane mark or higher.

Shell seem to just add ethanol purely as an octane booster (alcohols have a higher resistance to detonation, which is why methanol injection works, and why octane boosters work).

To get anything out of a higher octane fuel you need to tune your car for it. My mazda, when i had the standard ecu, would always be trying to advance the timing until it got a ping then it'd back it off...but this learning capability stopped eventually...i could get lots more grunt out of 98, but stuff all out of 100 RON fuels.... now i'm on microtech and i can tune for whatever fuel i feel like.

Also, octane doesn't equate instantly to more power. A common misconception is that leaded super fuel is more powerful because its got a higher octane rating..this isnt the case. Lead is used to increase the octane (contrary to popular belief, lead was not added to lubricate valves or whatever...protecting valves was a nice side effect, but it was originally used in war planes in world war 1 as an octane booster if memory serves).

Leaded super fuel is not as powerful as even standard 95RON unleaded. Simple match in a dish of the stuff will show you that..heat from the 95RON unleaded, and volitility of the explosion is noticably larger. Where higher octane really becomes of use is when you start advancing your timing and/or increasing your compression.

In short, unless you have an aftermarket ecu, or your standard computer is flashy enough to take advantage of the extra octane...every "gain" you get in teh power stakes from going up to 100 RON is pure plaecebo. At any rate, it would take time for your ecu to learn enough to advance timing on higher octane fuel so the increase would by no means be instantanious.

Just an update one the V-Power fuel, I spoke with one of the servo attendants and he said there's no V-Power at all at the moment because the plant is on holidays (no joke) so I was forced to pump in crap "optimax 95"

so be patient or go to caltex/mobil

shyte! i know!

i went to shell nothing! i went to BP not ultimate same story! i went to Caltex and thank goodness they had one pump of 98 vortex open think it was about to run out too. so im sorted for 2 weeks until they open the plants again!

V-power, vortex 98... blahblah ...and all those crap only have 98 octane... which is the STANDARD unleaded fuel in most other countries...

most euro cars use 98 octane not coz they "need" 98 octane...

its bcoz most other countries have 98 standard...

whats the recommended fuel on a ferrari?

man.... i wanna try ones over 100!!!!!

Edited by XploShun

V-power, vortex 98... blahblah ...and all those crap only have 98 octane... which is the STANDARD unleaded fuel in most other countries...

just put some 100ron fuel in and add some pro strength octane booster this should get you NEAR 110

Octane is not expressed as a percentage. An Octane number is a measure of the fuels resistance to flash detonation...or, in otherwords, its compressability.

and 100 octane isn't where it stops....real race fuels run up around the 120 octane mark or higher.

Shell seem to just add ethanol purely as an octane booster (alcohols have a higher resistance to detonation, which is why methanol injection works, and why octane boosters work).

To get anything out of a higher octane fuel you need to tune your car for it. My mazda, when i had the standard ecu, would always be trying to advance the timing until it got a ping then it'd back it off...but this learning capability stopped eventually...i could get lots more grunt out of 98, but stuff all out of 100 RON fuels.... now i'm on microtech and i can tune for whatever fuel i feel like.

Also, octane doesn't equate instantly to more power. A common misconception is that leaded super fuel is more powerful because its got a higher octane rating..this isnt the case. Lead is used to increase the octane (contrary to popular belief, lead was not added to lubricate valves or whatever...protecting valves was a nice side effect, but it was originally used in war planes in world war 1 as an octane booster if memory serves).

Leaded super fuel is not as powerful as even standard 95RON unleaded. Simple match in a dish of the stuff will show you that..heat from the 95RON unleaded, and volitility of the explosion is noticably larger. Where higher octane really becomes of use is when you start advancing your timing and/or increasing your compression.

In short, unless you have an aftermarket ecu, or your standard computer is flashy enough to take advantage of the extra octane...every "gain" you get in teh power stakes from going up to 100 RON is pure plaecebo. At any rate, it would take time for your ecu to learn enough to advance timing on higher octane fuel so the increase would by no means be instantanious.

Thanks for your insight Landworm !!! I just wanna pick you up on one thing though...

Since using the E5 100RON V-Power Racing fuel from Shell, I can't tell you if the power has increased, but what I can tell you is that the Azzometer feels smoother accelleration than when using 95RON Unleaded...

Thanks for your insight Landworm !!! I just wanna pick you up on one thing though...

Since using the E5 100RON V-Power Racing fuel from Shell, I can't tell you if the power has increased, but what I can tell you is that the Azzometer feels smoother accelleration than when using 95RON Unleaded...

No worries.....

as for the Azzometer....smoother accelleration is probably due to a higher grade of refinement.

The rolla ecu MAY be snazzy enough to advance the timing more than the much older Mazda 323 ecu....but i know mine ran out at about 98RON... just wasn't advancing any more....wasn't getting any more grunt.... But there would be a learning period while it tried to advance the timing..and there would be a maximum safe factory timing advance that toyota wont let you push through. Hell even on my aftermarket ecu, I have a Map that is fixed to prevent over advancement of timing (mind you, I sent the value for it, but it prevents the ecu from advancing the timing beyond what I deem to be a safe maximum....)

So, i should have more correctly said, that unless your car has a provision to get more power out of 100RON, any power increase is pure plaecebo.

There may be other advantages to running higher octane fuel. The chemical makeup of it (especially if its got an alcohol componant) can clean things such as injectors out, clean or prevent carbon build up in the combusion chambers and so forth. This could also explain the apparent smoothing of the delivery of power, after a couple of hours your injectors got cleaned out :P

I find that there is a difference between the 98 RON fuels when it comes to economy. Drove from wollongong to the central coast on Shell V Power, had 450km at half a tank with the aircon on the whole way. Drove back with Caltex Vortex 98, and had 415km at half a tank.

I find that there is a difference between the 98 RON fuels when it comes to economy. Drove from wollongong to the central coast on Shell V Power, had 450km at half a tank with the aircon on the whole way. Drove back with Caltex Vortex 98, and had 415km at half a tank.

you may think you notice a difference, but really the only way to do a PROPER test, is to run the car dry, under EXACTLY the same conditions every time (that is, same load, same speed, same atmospheric conditions).

The only way to "proove" better or worse milage, is to fill the car up with brand X, stick it on a dyno, run it at 100kph until its empty with constant throttle position, then fill up with brand Y, stick it on the dyno....etc etc.

thats the only way you can simulate identical conditions.

I know what you mean though, i 'think' i get best economy out of BP Ultimate.....but I can't be sure...even with 6 months worth of spreadsheet data on all my fuel usage.

a difference of 35km to half tank isnt that much....

just put some 100ron fuel in and add some pro strength octane booster this should get you NEAR 110

my corsa ran on 5lts TOLUENE and 45 pump fuel! that works wonders man! Also on race days we ran 50% av Gas and 50% pump fuel!

also the last half of the tank always goes faster!

pete avgas was the sh!t seriously, it rocked. too bad u cant buy it in aus anymore unless u own a plane :(

i know it totally sucks! Where we raced was on a runway so we went to the planes pump station filled up

pete avgas was the sh!t seriously, it rocked. too bad u cant buy it in aus anymore unless u own a plane :(

i know it totally sucks! Where we raced was on a runway so we went to the planes pump station filled up

i know thats what we used to do with the rally car as well pete.... dam regulations