info

The 2ZZGE has problems. Bent valves from missed shifts have been common. Sticking valve mechanism also cause unscheduled visits to the Toyota Dealers.

Toyota is addressing these problems currently. We have forged pistons in stock and .5mm os available with deeper valve reliefs and a .5 higher compression

The 2ZZGE has problems. Bent valves from missed shifts have been common. Sticking valve mechanism also cause unscheduled visits to the Toyota Dealers.

Toyota is addressing these problems currently. We have forged pistons in stock and .5mm os available with deeper valve reliefs and a .5 higher compression

i read that a while back in a little write up about the 2ZZGE. I believe the article might be a little bit old though. Could be wrong.

That is an old article...... I read it 18 months ago, and I will say that a 9,000 DOWNCHANGE (as has been spoken about already on this forum) is bound to bend valvesprings.

This problem has happend, and can happen, due to the high rev nature of our engines.

Any engine that goes to or above 8,000rpm has to have many changes made to inertia of parts, as physically speaking in common engineering, you hit 'a brick wall at 8,000 rpm'.

So, these changes (incl valvesprings) need to be treated with respect IE: no 2nd gear downchange at 115km/h!!!

But i thought someone said the 2ZZGE can withstand 11,000rpm fo 48hours before blowing?

I downloaded a clip of a Type-R shifting from 3rd to 4th but misshifted into 2nd and wham, way pass 10,000rpm!!! Would have put the K20A to retirement. Common problem with the Type-R and 99' Celicas. Anyway, hope my 2ZZGE can at least withstand the 8200rpm limiter bashing i give it.

i can host it just lemme know where i can get the clip

I have sent the clip to Northy via attachment and hopefully everyone will soon get to see it. This guy in the clip drives an ACURA RSX (DC5 Integra Type-R in Oz). His mate was filming him drive through 1st to 4th gear and the you can see how quick and smooth the i-VTEC revs to 8000rpm. Chirped hard in 2nd gear and everything looks good until he mis-shifted from 3rd to 2nd and the rev needle went clockwise to about 5 o'clock. You all go figure what rev he was at but i am guessing around 10,000-11,000rpm.

Moral of the clip: Don't try to down-shift at very high revs, in this case a mis-shift at 8000rpm and 140km/h.

Zee