questions about used hilux

chip scialfa

Hi all.

I’m a mechanically-challenged prof from Canada moving to Australia in July, 2007 for a one-year sabbatical. During my time there, I plan to travel extensively, visited some rather off-the-beaten-track spots. It’s been recommended in several sources that a 4WD vehicle would be a great benefit and I’ve been looking at the used Toyota Hilux. A cursory search of several Australian sites suggests that for about $8000, I can get 6-8 year old vehicle. I have several questions about the Hilux that I’d like to pose to users.

1. Is my price estimate realistic and if not, how far off am I?

2. Acknowledging that Toyota has a great reputation for reliability and performance, what are the most common problems I can expect?

3. What kind of gas mileage should I expect?

4. What are the best sources for finding used Hiluxes (Hili?) in the Canberra area where I’ll be moving initially?

5. Do you know of a reputable mechanic in the Canberra area who could inspect the vehicle prior to purchase?

6. Are there advantages (e.g., warranty laws) to buying from a dealer?

7. How much should I expect to pay for insurance for a 50-year old male with no tickets and no accidents, who hasn’t had insurance in Australia?

8. I plan to re-sell the car when I leave. Is this an easy or difficult thing to do? Are there organizations that facilitate this sort of arrangement?

Thanks

Chip Scialfa

Calgary CANADA

Hi all.

I’m a mechanically-challenged prof from Canada moving to Australia in July, 2007 for a one-year sabbatical. During my time there, I plan to travel extensively, visited some rather off-the-beaten-track spots. It’s been recommended in several sources that a 4WD vehicle would be a great benefit and I’ve been looking at the used Toyota Hilux. A cursory search of several Australian sites suggests that for about $8000, I can get 6-8 year old vehicle. I have several questions about the Hilux that I’d like to pose to users.

1. Is my price estimate realistic and if not, how far off am I?

2. Acknowledging that Toyota has a great reputation for reliability and performance, what are the most common problems I can expect?

3. What kind of gas mileage should I expect?

4. What are the best sources for finding used Hiluxes (Hili?) in the Canberra area where I’ll be moving initially?

5. Do you know of a reputable mechanic in the Canberra area who could inspect the vehicle prior to purchase?

6. Are there advantages (e.g., warranty laws) to buying from a dealer?

7. How much should I expect to pay for insurance for a 50-year old male with no tickets and no accidents, who hasn’t had insurance in Australia?

8. I plan to re-sell the car when I leave. Is this an easy or difficult thing to do? Are there organizations that facilitate this sort of arrangement?

Thanks

Chip Scialfa

Calgary CANADA

1. Im not 100% sure on price but for $8000 you'll only get 6-8 yr old version in 2WD as 4WD is significantly more.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In Adelaide 4WD '97 hilux models that are worse for wear are still fetching $12,000 easy.

you would probably need to get quotes from various insurers.

AAMI

QBE

Allianz

SGIC etc.

i also strongly recommend off road insurance and full replacement cover.

make sure you do your home work and have all the neccesary kit for when you get caught out which can happen easy.

otherwise, i hope you have a swell time in this, our big brown land.

"Good Night and Good Luck" - Edward R. Murrow (and the Queen before him)

• 2 months later...

Mate, i own a 1990 Model 4x4 Hilux.

Bought it off a guy for $8750. He was the original owner, with all engineer certifcates and anywork that had been done. Even down to him having receipts for purchasing new Globes for the headlights.

It was box stock original and it had a New Recon engine in it.

It drives very very well.

If you want about a 2000 model 4x4, you are looking at a bit more than $8000. A quick search at http://carsales.com.au will give you a decent idea.

If you want a decent ute than you should look for something that is original and hasnt had to many mods done to it.

The next thing you need too look at is if you want the Single Cab, Xtra Cab or Dual Cab. Pretty obvious what all that means.

Then you will have to make a decision on whether to go Petrol, Diesel or Turbo Diesel. TD obviously will give you a faster and more reliable ute, but costs a **** load on fuel. Personally i stuck with the little 2.4L Petrol engine (22R) and it is very good on fuel for a heavy 4wd with fat 31's on it.

Have fun mate, any more questions than feel free to ask!!