CTP Car insurance

Got my NRMA CTP renewal today.

Looked at it and it said $590.61!

Thats more than what i paid for it last year.

Now the funny thing is that if i do an online quote on the NRMA website I get different prices.

Price Variation #1 = If I dont hold my comprehensive insurance with NRMA it cost $441

Price Variation #2 = If I do hold my comprehensive insurance with NRMA (which I do) it costs $329.

WTF is wrong with NRMA and sending me a renewal notice for $590? <_<

Does anyone else find the same thing is happening to them?

My first question is how old are you? ;)

Got my NRMA CTP renewal today.

Looked at it and it said $590.61!

Thats more than what i paid for it last year.

How much did you pay last year? That figure sounds about right for an under 25 in a major city.

Now the funny thing is that if i do an online quote on the NRMA website I get different prices.

Price Variation #1 = If I dont hold my comprehensive insurance with NRMA it cost $441

Price Variation #2 = If I do hold my comprehensive insurance with NRMA (which I do) it costs $329.

Once again that sounds about right for an over 25, I can't remember how much I paid last year but it was something similar.

Have you had a birthday in the meantime? If you're turning 25 after the CTP renewal is due then you still get charged the full price, even if you're turning 25 a couple of days/weeks later. I know 'cause my rego is due in July but my birthday is in August.

However if you're already 25 or older then maybe you need to update your records with the NRMA...

EDIT: Just remembered the MAA price guide http://motoraccidents-linux.vividcluster.g...t.au/index.html

Edited by Conquest

im over 25.

Just realised why the original renewal is higher than last year... the Medical levy for children. :)

Still its rather silly of NRMA to quote me higher on a renewal notice, when its cheaper for me the cancel and reissue.

Still its rather silly of NRMA to quote me higher on a renewal notice, when its cheaper for me the cancel and reissue.

That doesn't sound right, are you sure they have your details correct? Also is anyone under 25 driving the vehicle?

I just did the MAA calculator & it gave me the same price as you, $329 with existing comprehensive insurance...

EDIT: Just did another calculation with myself and my imaginary 24yo friend and the price jumped to - you guessed it - $590.91

Edited by Conquest

Well you'd hope they have my age right.... considering they do have my DOB on both the CTP And Comprehensive policy I hold with them. LOL

Only registered driver on the vehicle is me, I even took my mum off, cos she made a claim about 2 years ago on her car.... which actually affected the cost of my premium.

I did a quote with GIO, with my exact details, except i said I had no insurance... $590 as well.

Edited by neK

Well you'd hope they have my age right... considering they do have my DOB on both the CTP And Comprehensive policy I hold with them.

Yeah you'd hope so but stranger things have happened. Check the fine print and make sure your DOB is correct as well as making sure that the chassis/engine numbers etc correspond between your CTP & comprehensive policies.

Anyway i'd suggest giving them a call tomorrow, hopefully they can sort it out over the phone and give you a new form/policy number with the correct price.

Also try the MAA calculator & see what quotes that gives you in comparison...

make sure you tell them your no claim bonus rating if you have Comprehensive insurance. The are not automatically applying discounts now, so you need to prove a rating 1.

Thats not required for CTP is it?

Just did a quote for Comprehensive on the corolla for 19k agreed... its getting higher.

$1200 :(

Anyone recommend a 3rd party + property damage policy?

ie a policy where if i crash i need to cough out all repairs to my car (or if the car gets stolen), but everyone else is covered?

Anyone recommend a 3rd party + property damage policy?

You can now get 3rd party property AND theft which is a much better option IMO.

The only hassle with 3rd party is that if your car gets damaged by someone else then you have to run around getting quotes & sending letters of demand etc whereas with comprehensive insurance you just make a claim and let the insurance sort it out.

I think 3rd party property should be compulsory for all cars but that's another matter I suppose...