Windows VISTA

SPTIVO_LUVA

Windows Vista  

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've been using vista on toca since October last year!!! :P

i had no choice to upgrade. But if you want my opinion vista isnt that big of a change to XP. Office 2007 is where the biggest improvements are for both productivity and features.

Bill

Hey all I know a fair bit about computers but need help makin a decision on upgradin. How well do u reckon my PC would handle Vista (and I mean not just for a few weeks when there is hardly anythin on it, but months later when there is alot of sh!t on there (programs n stuff) and after possible upgrades such as a twin tuner HDTV card):

*925X chipset on mother board

*Socket LGA775 P4 3.4GHZ (with HyperThreadin)

*1GB Dual Channel DD2-533 MHZ RAM (with two free banks for additional RAM)

*160GB Hard Drive (7200RPM)

*Nvidia 6800 GTO based Graphics Card (running off PCI-Ex16)

*Creative Live 24-bit sound card

*DVD Burner

*One free PCI and PCI-Ex1 slot

OOOooo our first TOCA Vista user hey! ;)

I might get it tomorrow morning on my way to work I wanna see what this new OS can do.

common phill you should be able to get it from your work ! hahahha

LOL yeah, if I pay... Dam tight @$$es wish they would give it to us for free for "testing" purposes :D

Hey all I know a fair bit about computers but need help makin a decision on upgradin. How well do u reckon my PC would handle Vista (and I mean not just for a few weeks when there is hardly anythin on it, but months later when there is alot of sh!t on there (programs n stuff) and after possible upgrades such as a twin tuner HDTV card):

*925X chipset on mother board

*Socket LGA775 P4 3.4GHZ (with HyperThreadin)

*1GB Dual Channel DD2-533 MHZ RAM (with two free banks for additional RAM)

*160GB Hard Drive (7200RPM)

*Nvidia 6800 GTO based Graphics Card (running off PCI-Ex16)

*Creative Live 24-bit sound card

*DVD Burner

*One free PCI and PCI-Ex1 slot

Vista will run no worries on your PC, might be a good idea to throw in some more RAM just to get the best out of it ;-)

ill still stand by my comments about how poorly vista is programmed

but time will tell :P

and no you cant say just cause they've got market share that they're doing something right

they've got a monopoly, its not cause they release great software.

if you want want the best software atm get osX on powerpc or intel.

Hi iffster

I agree with you that Windows can be programmed MUCH better, but the issue is the OS is so complicated and so involved it would take many many many years to try and reprogram the base code. This is the same issues that Linux/OSX are starting to see now with there newer OS's (as there kernel tipples in size over the last few years).

This is why I say as crap as people say MS is they are doing alot better then they have in the past and since Windows XP I believe they have had a relatively decent and stable OS.

From what I've seen of Vista it looks good and has some great features (so much so that I believe OSX is going to have to speed up there next gen OS if they want to stay ahead with the "best looking" OS).

Competition is what it's all about. (Eg, AMD or Intel, keeping each other honest) :clap:

Fudge

Well I just installed Vista at my home PC, looks quite flashy but the program compatibility is disappointing.

Installed "my" version of Nero, Nortons and Azures and they all went spastic.

Installed Alcohol 120% and got the blue screen of death... Restart in normal and safe mode blue screen like crazy... lovely...

Formatted (again) and reinstalled and seems to be working OK now. Need to be more careful with the compatibility of my old programs didnt realise it could have that effect.

Might give it more time until I can get used to it but it does look promising.

Well I just installed Vista at my home PC, looks quite flashy but the program compatibility is disappointing.

Installed "my" version of Nero, Nortons and Azures and they all went spastic.

Installed Alcohol 120% and got the blue screen of death... Restart in normal and safe mode blue screen like crazy... lovely...

Formatted (again) and reinstalled and seems to be working OK now. Need to be more careful with the compatibility of my old programs didnt realise it could have that effect.

Might give it more time until I can get used to it but it does look promising.

see philll .... you wouldnt have these problems on a mac hahahahah :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hi Guys

If any one is planning on purchasing the upgrade edition or performing an upgrade please run the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor to check what devices you may have issues with and what programs HAVE to be uninstalled before installing (and NOT installed into Vista after installing/upgrading).

MS has done a good job with this tool from what I've seen, defiantly worth the download (to save time as I'm sure Saiya would agree)

Nero version 6 is NOT supported, neither is alot of older anti-virus software so please be care full before installing. If you run into trouble boot up into safe mode and perform a roll back to the last system restore point.

You can download a copy of Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor hear:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:idea: For those of you who will be purchasing the Windows Vista upgrade and would like to perform a clean install hear is the work around:

Thanks to WinInfo (Paul Thurrott) for this work around :clap:

With a support note quietly posted to its Web site, Microsoft confirmed what enthusiasts have long feared: Users who purchase Upgrade versions of Windows Vista will not be able to perform clean installs of the operating system. Instead, they will need to first install their previous OS and then upgrade in-place to Vista.

"This problem occurs because Windows Vista [setup] does not check upgrade compliance," a support note on Microsoft's Web site reads. "Therefore, you cannot use an upgrade key to perform a clean installation of Windows Vista."

While this is sure to infuriate some users--and certainly, it contradicts information Microsoft provided me with last year--the reality is that upgrade installs of Windows Vista essentially wipe out the OS and perform an install that is very much like a clean install. The real problem here, therefore, will be the length of time it takes to install Vista using the Upgrade media: Though Vista often installs in about 30 minutes, previous versions often take twice as long.

UPDATE: I haven't tested this yet, as I don't have Vista Upgrade media to test, but I'm told that Microsoft's internal documentation does explain how to clean install Vista using an Upgrade version. It appears to be more of a workaround than a true clean install, however. Here's what it says.

1. Boot with the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD.

2. Click "Install Now."

3. Do not enter a Product Key When prompted.

4. When prompted, select the Vista product edition that you do have.

6. Install Vista normally.

7. Once the install is complete, restart the DVD-based Setup from within Windows Vista. Perform an in-place upgrade.

8. Enter your Product Key when prompted.

Regards

Fudge :D

Edited by fudgebottom

MS has done a good job with this tool from what I've seen, defiantly worth the download (to save time as I'm sure Saiya would agree)

Indeed they have, with all of the programs that the Advisor reported I would have trouble with came true when I installed it on a fresh copy of Vista. I mainly installed the programs cuz I was curious onto what would happenen LOL.

Well 2 1/2 days running Vista and starting to get used to it. But now my MSN messenger live isnt working.

Looks like Vista automatically detects a program not working and closes it for you. The thing is if you leave the program alone it usually picks itself up again and works normally, like the way XP handles it.

Had to downgrade to MSN 7 to get MSN working correctly...

Fun times! :blink: