1kd engine knock

Hi Guys, Hope someone can help me with this problem. I have a 2006 Hilux 4x4 dual cab fitted witha 1kd common rail injection system. At approx 6000 klms it developed an engine knock between approx 1200-1800 rpm. It is real bad when cold and under load but still audilble when at operating temp.( it sounds like a diesel knock) I have taken it back to the dealer and they diagnosed a diesel knock and fitted new injectors. That did not fix the problem. they said there were no fault codes recorded. They now want the vehicle for a few days to carry out further tests but i am worrried the really dont know what the problem is and it is just a fishing exercise and just trial and error. the vehicle has now travelled 11000 klms and the knock is getting worse. Has anyone had this problem or any advice as to who to ask

Cheers

• 16 years later...
On 1/30/2007 at 5:15 AM, culler60 said:

Hi Guys, Hope someone can help me with this problem. I have a 2006 Hilux 4x4 dual cab fitted witha 1kd common rail injection system. At approx 6000 klms it developed an engine knock between approx 1200-1800 rpm. It is real bad when cold and under load but still audilble when at operating temp.( it sounds like a diesel knock) I have taken it back to the dealer and they diagnosed a diesel knock and fitted new injectors. That did not fix the problem. they said there were no fault codes recorded. They now want the vehicle for a few days to carry out further tests but i am worrried the really dont know what the problem is and it is just a fishing exercise and just trial and error. the vehicle has now travelled 11000 klms and the knock is getting worse. Has anyone had this problem or any advice as to who to ask

Cheers

1 Diesel Knock "they will tell you its normal" it is NOT - back in the day we knew it as (Pre-Ignition / over fueling or possible 2  ( "over advanced spill timing") - worn injector pintle nozzle that is "not atomising" the fuel resulting excessive black smoke - modern day ECU control cannot stop this entirely, check your engine oil colouration / carbon content from the last service - if it is black as or possibly fuel diluted = over fueling -----test for dilution, drip eng oil onto very hot plate it should just smoke not fire/flame up. I have to say cant beat the old diesels before ec